Need Advice - Gas Running out of Carbs - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Need Advice - Gas Running out of Carbs

I experienced a new problem while riding on Saturday. I topped off the tank and headed out into the country. About 10 miles out the engine started running rough. I was out in the boonies where it would be pretty hard to give someone directions, so I needed to get back into civilization in case I had to be rescued. I pulled over and with the engine still running I got off and looked around. Fuel was dripping off of the lever that the throttle cable is connected to beneath the carbs. I rolled on the throttle and more dripped out. This is obviously not good. I headed back into the little town I was closest to, with the engine cutting out the whole way. As I got into town it seemed to be getting better, running more smoothly. I stopped and looked again, no gas dripping. I kept heading towards home. At one point I had to get on the 4-lane for a few exits and it was back to running normally. I ended up stopping at a friend's house to check it again. Still no gas dripping out, still running normally.

I did fill the tank as much as I could, including pushing the bike up a bit as I topped it off to try and get as much in as I could, but nothing ever came out of the overflow. Could this have been due to overfilling the tank? why would it be dripping out of the bottom of the carbs instead of out of the overfill tube? If it was something else why did it fix itself in just a few miles?
Should I try to get it looked at?

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sounds like you might have had a stuck float valve on the rear carb (front one was ok?). Sometimes they "unstick" themselves. Put some Seafoam in the tank just in case - maybe a little crud in there still that the 'Foam can take care of.

Do you have a gremlin bell on your bike yet?

C
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

My friend told me the same thing. I haven't run any seafoam through since early in the spring. may be time for another treatment.

Gotta get a bell. I guess one finally caught me!

Thanks

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I believe I have one bell left! Send me your mailing address and I'll try to get it out to you tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement