running hot - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Question running hot

Ok so i think that my bike is running lean. I have a 95 vn750 with about 6500 miles. The carbs were cleaned back in April by a shop before I bought the bike. My problem is when my bike warms up the rpms take awhile to come down. I can actually take my hand off the gas and do not lose speed for about 30sec to a min it just stays the same and then eventually starts to slow down. I was told by a friend that I might have a leak in the vacuum line so i tried the wd-40 trick but it did not have any effect. Also the rpms increases in between shifts not allot, but enough to now when I shift into low gears it makes a clank noise (it just sounds like the clutch is trying to catch some thing that is moving too fast).

If anybody can think of some thing else I could test for I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 PM

since you have a 95 with 6500 miles, it seems likely that you may have a dry throttle cable. you may try graphite or whatever lubricant you prefer to free it up. that would not address running hot, or lean however. also , when you lubricate, be patient in order for the lubrication to work through the cable. if you are on good terms with the shop, they might address your carb. problem for you which could possibly affect running hot, if not on good terms if you follow the forum you can get good advice on adjusting your carbs yourself. good luck and welcome
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Welcome! I know this sounds dumb, but you don't have the choke on do you?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Lubing that throttle cable sounds like a step in the right direction if its sticking I think that might be what’s causing it to run hot (not necessary lean).I’ll have to do that tomorrow and ill report back if it helps.

To ans. Kanuck69 I do not have the choke on I use it only on cold starts and for not very long.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately lubing the throttle cable did not fix the problem. It still getting gas when I have my hand off the throttle. Any other suggestions?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:26 PM
85 VN 700

Will the RPM's go down when you push the throttle back to it's original position?

I'm almost thinking you have a snapped or kinked return cable - are both cables (pull and push) taut and lubed properly? I'd pull off the throttle handle and manually (at the carbs) work the throttle back and forth - verify that the cables are both moving smoothly.

Hope that helps...

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Make sure the rubber boots are tight that go around the carb from the air box. Check them for holes VISUALY...Let the bike warm up an reset your idle to 1100 rpms starting from the lowest going up. Did you adjust your airscrews yet?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

OK new development, so I was thinking that the carbs might need to be cleaned that some thing had got in and was causing this problem. So by bud comes over that also has a vn750 to show me the vaccume lines to put the seafoam in. We found that I did not have the vaccume hose that goes from the right airfilter. I checked under the gas tank since some post that I've read talked about people putting it their but, I could not find this hose. I don't know if this would cause the above mentioned problems or not.

To ans curtis, no the rpm does not go back down if you push the throttle back and the handle or directly on the carb.

To ans knifemaker, I have check the connections around the carbs but i have not messed with the airscrews yet since I found the above mentioned issue.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Check the nipple on the carb that the vent line is supposed to attach to. It may be clogged. If you can, find a similar inner diameter hose and connect it where the missing hose should be.
You may still need to take the carbs off and see if their diaphrams are allowing the throttle slides to slide freely. It sounds like maybe the shop may have goofed when they reassembled them and the slides are not free to return to idle when the throttle is released. Or they may also have either damaged the diaphrams or not seated them properly and the vacuum is leaking there which may also cause the symptoms you describe.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement