shaved,coastered,jetted, yada yada yada - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Basketcase

shaved,coastered,jetted, yada yada yada

Hell yeah pulling the carbs was fun! I wish I had another vn here so I could do it all over again. Dude there is no reason in a sane world to have a setup like that. The air box must die. I will sell this thing before I try to jam the carbs back in with the stock system. So now is the time to shave, jet and coaster. So I know that there is tons of info in the v.v. to get me through this. Was just wondering if there is a one stop shop now to get everything needed in one box. Online stores come and go everyday so I thought I might get lucky. Also, Im leaving the belly in place for now so would that affect jet size? Oh yeah, one more thing; The vac/vent lines that t off the carbs and go into the air valves, what do I do with that? Cap off or vent into atmosphere?
Thanks in advance for all the advice you care to part with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Basketcase

One more thing. Will some one make sense of the whole needle thing in the ear shave file in the v.v.? A needle and a jet are one and the same right? They go back and fourth with shim this shim that, put it on top, no put it under, use factory needles, no use aftermarket, no they are too long, and on and on. Please explain.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 PM

I Challenge anyone to

Fab a intake manifold for one Mikuni pumper for our VN's I agree with your frustrations on the design of the air box/cleaners/carbs. All my crap is in a box in my garage.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Basketcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrack650 View Post
Fab a intake manifold for one Mikuni pumper for our VN's I agree with your frustrations on the design of the air box/cleaners/carbs. All my crap is in a box in my garage.
I was thinking more like a holley projection unit. No springs, jets, shims, floats or other antique hardware. Just a throttle body with an injector. Maybe thats how Ill make my million.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Basketcase

Alright, I just took the carbs apart for cleaning so I have been able to answer most of my questions. 140 for front and 142 for rear seems to be the most popular with shaving. Is that a good combo using a stock exhaust?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 12:34 PM
85 VN 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvn750owner View Post
I was thinking more like a holley projection unit. No springs, jets, shims, floats or other antique hardware. Just a throttle body with an injector. Maybe thats how Ill make my million.
Something like this? http://www.htctech.net/~squirts/plastic.htm

Well... it ain't a fancy shmancy pro-jection unit... but at least it's a start...

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Basketcase

they guy was on the right track with that. interesting read. It just shouldnt be that difficult to fab a simple throttle body with a mass air flow sensor in front and an injector in the rear. the control unit itself might be the problem but surely there is something already available that could be adopted and intergrated.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Basketcase

Okay, I have shaved and jetted with 40 pilots, 142 mains, stock needles. Also coastered and replaced the leaking petcock with a new one. She starts up and runs fine. But after about 10 minutes it just dies. Doesent stumble or falter just dies. Have to fight and fuss but im usually able to restart. During one of the times that it ran for this brief duration I turned petcock to the off position, IT RAN FOR ANOTHER 10 MINUTES. Thats abnormal is it not? Also noticed that if I disconect the carb to petcock vac line the rpm goes up. So after turning it over several times tonight to try to get it to restart I have fuel coming out the front airfilter. I have cleaned the carbs twice and was so sure that I did not have stuck floats. HELP! P.S. Consider if carbs could be "loading" up due to 142 mains with stock needle.?

shaved
jetted
coastered
carb cleaned
splines lubed
8k on the clock
leaking petcock
leaking boots
one throttle cable
no front brakes
headlight inop
but runs!

Last edited by newvn750owner; 10-31-2007 at 09:43 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:11 AM

Did you shim the needles??

Brian Manchester
'89 "GRIMM"

CUSTOM-Seat,quick detach backrest,2.5"slam brackets,Pipes,Fender struts,head light mount,9"rise dragbars,Grips,Mirrors, turnsignals,LED brake light/Lic.plate frame,Chopper headlight. Shaved,Jetted,coastered,polished forks,saddle&Tool bags,horns moved,180/70/15 rear tire!!! Yes a 180!!!!And other stuff.....
Springfield 1911-A1 Compact .45acp

03 F250 superduty 4x4 V-10 crew cab long box 33's,CAI,SS duals with magnaflow

04 durango AWD
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Basketcase

No I did not shim. I was going to but I have seen so many posts of people that have had luck with using stock needles w/o shims. I should add that when it runs, it purrs like a kitten. Smooth idle and acceleration.

shaved
jetted
coastered
carb cleaned
splines lubed
8k on the clock
leaking petcock
leaking boots
one throttle cable
no front brakes
headlight inop
but runs!