gas tank vent under seat - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

gas tank vent under seat

I got bad gas on sunday at a wawa in delware on 13 south right after crossing the delware memorial bridge.

my 06 was really acting up and cutting out and the only way I could keep it running was to keep the rpm up by constantly adding on the throttle.

yesterday I bought some water remover since another 1/2 tank of good gas didn't completely fix the problem.

Well after only a mile the bike died, it wouldn't even start. It was like there was no electric what so ever.

I took the seat off to inspect the battery lines an discovered a vent tube from the gas tank had been worn away by the seat rubbing on it.

I cut off that cracked section (almost an inch) and reattached the line that runs toward the ground right neat the batter vent tube.

Wow it starts and seems to be runnign more smoothly.

When I got home I cleaned the aif filters out and ran some carb cleaner through the air housings. I also bought a carb cleaner gas treatment.

Its like I got a full tune up. It seems to be running better than it was before I got the bad gas

I don't know if the seat rubbing a hole in the vent line is a previous archive or
this actualy helped the bike but you may want to check yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Old new guy

I have an 06 also, and discovered the fuel tank vent hose had worn through under the seat. I assumed it was due to me taking the seat on and off several times while adjusting my saddle bags, and pinching the hose in the process. Couldn't tell you if it affected the bike's operation though.

I have been having trouble with the bike running rough and wanting to die shortly after getting on the highway, about a mile from my house. That problem cropped up when I put the new AGM battery in it. If I just keep it running for about another mile or so, it seems to clear up and run right. Never had that problem with the original battery. I haven't figured out the problem yet.

Mississippi Swamp Rat
2006 VN750, "Little Big Bike", adopted Aug 07
POW ride bell F&S backrest Westco AGM PF3 bobbed 2" F&S engine guard Kuryakyn ISO-Pegs Mustang seat Vista Cruise Highway Hawk bag support W&M braided slant bags & tool pouch Biker's Friend F&S rear rack Rider Light Diamond Star headlight modulator BackOFF brake light flasher

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtabaco View Post
I got bad gas on sunday at a wawa in delware on 13 south right after crossing the delware memorial bridge.
Man, those sandwiches at Wawa will get ya every time..

The vent is a problem - usually there's a metal clip holding it onto the vent coming off the tank itself. I'm guessing that's (in theory) where the seat is supposed to make contact.

Glad you fixed the problem. Also, for carb cleaners, give Seafoam a shot (you can read more about it in the Verses; or search the term and folks will be singing its praises). Not that the other cleaners are necessarily problematic for our bikes, just that Seafoam is like pouring three ounces of miracle into your gas tank.

C

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by msswmprt View Post
I have been having trouble with the bike running rough and wanting to die shortly after getting on the highway, about a mile from my house. That problem cropped up when I put the new AGM battery in it. If I just keep it running for about another mile or so, it seems to clear up and run right. Never had that problem with the original battery. I haven't figured out the problem yet.
Have you had the battery load tested? And have ya checked that all connections are tight and clean?
If all ya did was change the battery, it's most likely something simple that's causing you troubles.
Also, like Cindy said to Jtabaco, try some Seafoam, if ya haven't already. It just might help.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Benjammin'

Hey Swamp,
When I put my AGM battery in, someone here gave me the excellent advice to clean all the ground connections from the battery on. I found some rust/corrosion on some of them, so the potentiual exists, even on clean or new bikes. Hopefully that will be a simple fix fer ya.

Seafoam, well the stuff is absolutely A M A Z I N G!!!!! It is also a great gasoline stabilizer for the winters. Just make sure you run the bike long enough to get it into the carbs.

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.

Last edited by BSkaggs513; 09-13-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: I don't spell good...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Old new guy

I have a Mustang seat and it doesn't sit on the metal clip on that vent hose. It does touch the rubber hose below the clip though, but only slightly. I believe I wore the rubber hose while inserting the front tab of the seat into the bracket several times one day while fitting the saddle bags. I was probably pinching the hose, wiggling the seat around to get it in place. I'll be keeping a watch on it to be sure.

The bags' throwover straps caused the seat to sit high and I had a hard time getting the bolts into the rear. Pushing down hard on the seat, I finally got them to go in, but I stripped out one of them. I'm dreading the next time I have to pull the seat off. I had to push down on the seat to get the bolts in BEFORE I put the bags on, and it's considerably worse now, with a double thickness of "leather" under the seat. I have one bolt all the way in, and one bolt halfway in and it just spins.

When I installed the AGM battery, I cleaned the connections with emery cloth, including both sides of the ground connection. When I first encountered the stalling, which was the first ride after installing the battery, I ran Seafoam through the tank. The next ride was fine. After that, however, the problem surfaced again. The difference seemed to be in the amount of time the bike sat between rides, which is several days when the trouble appears. So, it's a mystery. It's as if the battery loses just enough charge while sitting to cause weak ignition, and recharges while running on the highway. But it hasn't been sitting more than a week between rides yet, so that's a concern. And to answer your question, Hyper, no I haven't had the battery load tested. I was careful to make sure all the connections were tight and clean though.

Mississippi Swamp Rat
2006 VN750, "Little Big Bike", adopted Aug 07
POW ride bell F&S backrest Westco AGM PF3 bobbed 2" F&S engine guard Kuryakyn ISO-Pegs Mustang seat Vista Cruise Highway Hawk bag support W&M braided slant bags & tool pouch Biker's Friend F&S rear rack Rider Light Diamond Star headlight modulator BackOFF brake light flasher

Last edited by msswmprt; 09-13-2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: add comment
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

I believe that its vibration rub that causes the top of the hose to get worn away. I asked car mechanic that works on his own bike and he said that if the vent isn't clear you have a vacum in the tank that the carb have to fight against
Sponsored Links
Advertisement