carb sync tool - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

carb sync tool

Hey all, I'm still trying to figure out this vibration that I have. I've read several postings on people doing the carb sync and how to hook everything up and someone saying that they got the 3 dollar tool from yahoo group but I can't find any pics or links to this "tool" to either make or buy one. any info would be great. Also, if someone could tell me what causes the carb to become out of sync all of a sudden. (not sure if mine are, bike seems to run great except for the vibration) I'd just llike to check this myself before I resort to taking it to the dealer.. Thanks

Borto

2004 750
splines lubed
memphis shades windshield
chrome rad cover
chrome MC cover
chrome coolant cover
saddle bags
jardine sissy bar
protac back rest
jardine luggage rack
marbled
iridium plugs
R&R relocated
ram mounted quest GPS
Kaw engine guard
V&H Cruzers
Tour Master XL sissy bar bag
bought 6/1/07 with 3200
currently just shy of 9000
as of 8-9-07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:17 PM

Here's the link to the cheap manometer: http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

My sense of carbs getting out of adjustment is that it's usually the result of rough-housing... Seriously, if the carbs are removed from the bike, they need to be sync'd. I may have this backwards (someone jump in), but the carb sync screw only adjusts the rear throttle plate - the idea is to bring it in line with the position of the front throttle plate. So if the front throttle plate gets moved at all (whcih I believe it does with the idle adjustment screw), then - voila - the plates are out of sync.

It's a quick and easy job, and definitely makes a difference in performance. Like you say, that may not be the problem you're experiencing, but you'll need to sync at some point or another anyway.

C
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:27 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Manometer da da dadada

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
Manometer da da dadada
Aaaaaaaaaaa!!! Stop it, Hyper!!! I'll be singing that all day now...it took me months to get it out of my head the first time I sync'd the carbs. Aaaaaaaaaaa.....

C
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Livin to Ride!

Off the subject

Hey Borto, how does the bike look with the chrome radiator cover and the Kaw engine guard? I thought it may be too much chrome up in the front of the bike. Where did you find to be the best place to purchase these parts from? Many of the places I look do not list the 750. Thanks in advance!

2005 Vulcan
Newbie pavement rider and love it!
Marbeled
Carbs unplugged and adjusted
GB bypass (scooterworks kit)
Exelement bags
Slipstreams windshield
Kawasaki extended backrest
Fire & Steel MS cover
Kawasaki engine crash guard
2840 miles
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Hey streetnit!

I got the chrome rad cover on ebay. Kinda seem hard to come by, since this is my first year with the bike and I've only seen them once so far and I got one of the 3 or 4 he had. I think it looks good with the cover.. I thought just the opposite of you and thought it was 2 much black without it. If you PM me your email I can shoot you a pic if you would like.

Borto

2004 750
splines lubed
memphis shades windshield
chrome rad cover
chrome MC cover
chrome coolant cover
saddle bags
jardine sissy bar
protac back rest
jardine luggage rack
marbled
iridium plugs
R&R relocated
ram mounted quest GPS
Kaw engine guard
V&H Cruzers
Tour Master XL sissy bar bag
bought 6/1/07 with 3200
currently just shy of 9000
as of 8-9-07
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 03:00 PM

Lightbulb

Hello all,
Check out this link for a mana-mana do do do do do! (I WILL be singing that all day now!) carbtune.com/index Last October, I was trying to get my sportbike ready to do my first track day and needed to get my carbs sync'd. I did NOT want to mess with mercury, and have heard quality problems with those vacuum gauges you can get from JC whitney and apparently on Ebay. I used this tool, and got my sportbike running very smoothly. I will tell you that everything on the tool is 'good' quality exept how they have the 'loop' hooked up to hang it from the handle bar when you are adjusting the carbs. I made a very quick inexpensive version out a couple of zip ties and some wire. I looked all over the net to find a tool, I found some home made plans that looked like they would work, but this one looked the best, a little expensive, but I am going to use it over and over on several different bikes so I fiqured what the heck..
When sync'ing the carbs ( on a lot a bikes) you need an aux fuel tank because you need to remove the fuel tank (not sure on my vulcan because I just got it last week, probably can leave the tank on). Again, instead of paying 50 bucks from Dennis kirk or other suppliers for one, I made one from a funnel with a twist valve on the bottom, some vinyl (clear) tubing and fuel line and some hose clamps. I found the vinyl tubing helps to see the fuel on it's way to the carbs. Looks like on the vulcan you may also need a fuel line "T" fitting because of the dual carb/fuel line set up (I found a plastic automotive vacuum line fitting with universal size barbed connections for like 2 bucks) and boom your in business.

By the way, this is my first post here. Like I said just became the owner of a 2003 Vulcan 750, and am probably going to have to take the carbs off in the very near future (monday when I get my book from Kawi) to fix a rough running idle circuit. The bike sat for almost a year with no running, before my buddy decided to give me the bike. yes I said GIVE me the bike. 2800 miles, not a scratch, just does not want to idle or have any throttle respone except coughing and spitting at me. Never had anyone do anything like that for me. Pretty cool. I am still blown away and head is still reeling..He was having health problems and said it was a shame to just be sitting in the garage. sooo....
glad I found this site, already have found some good stuff!!
Txvulcan
"cryogenic biker"
ps, for those of you with more than one bike in the garage, this manometer works on 2 and 4 carb set ups. pretty cool. and no I don't work for or represent those guys, they are based in the UK.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 04:30 PM

Welcome! You got a pic of your aux fuel set-up? I've been kicking around ideas, but keep getting stuck at the shut-off valve (I haven't found a close-able t-port that'll hold the fuel lines).

Good get on the '03, too! Before you pull the carbs, dump some Seafoam in there and see if the coughing and spitting eases up a little.

C
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 PM

Thanks!
ok, Seafoam? Stupid Question, what is it? I have used a LOT of additives, cleaners and such, have I missed one? Who makes it and where can I get it? If there is even a chance of not having to pull the carbs off, I will give it a shot!! Thanks for the pointer! I will try it this weekend and see what comes of it!
I can take some pics of my set up. I don't have a shut off close to the carbs, that would probably be a good idea now that I think about it. It is a fairly crude set up, but it works.
(sorry, the smiley dudes are cool)
I will try to hook you up with pics the next couple of days, work'n the nightshift thang for the next couple of nights.
Txvulcan
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 07:44 AM

Check the Verses for Odes to Seafoam...you can get it at Pep Boys, NAPA, I think Auto Zone. It's in a white can with red lettering - about $8 a can.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement