Carb flooding but only when... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Carb flooding but only when...

I have my engine kill switch in the off position. I have young children and they are very interested in my motorcycle and want to start it. I decided to start using the engine kill switch in the off position to make sure they couldn't actually start the bike if they managed to swindle my key from my key chain. Ever since then my carbs have started flooding to the point of gas leaking out. I couldn;t figure it out and I still don't understand it. As soon as I stopped turning the kill switch off, the gas leak stopped and no problems since. Any ideas? Has that happened to anyone before? I always keep the petcock turned off when not riding anyways so I don't think that would have affected it. A real stumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 04:47 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

That's really strange. There's nothing electrical related with the carbs, and nothing vacuum related with the kill switch???

Might just be a Coinky Dink Gremlin?!

Only other thing I can think of, that'd be quick & easy to do to keep the kids from accidently starting the bike, would be to pull the plug wires when ya park it. But then there's a chance of them getting zapped if they do try.
Anything else, and you'd need to pull either the side cover (pull the main fuse) or the seat (disconnect the battery cable).

Nice to hear that you're atleast trying to do what ya can to keep the kids from getting hurt (or are you really more worried about the bike?? LOL, j/k)

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 AM

If you have the same fuel petcock that I do, what is normally the off position is now the "pri" for prime. It will fill the carbs when the engine isn't running.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmkwood View Post
If you have the same fuel petcock that I do, what is normally the off position is now the "pri" for prime. It will fill the carbs when the engine isn't running.
Different years on your bikes, but it's making me think: most items we all take for granted as interchageable from 86-06 ('cept for those darned self-cancelling turn signals and the wiring harness). But I suppose it's possible to get an older "PRI" petcock by accident and not realize it? I mean, the outer plate (On/Off/Res) wouldn't need to change, but the functioning of the actual petcock would....

C
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 AM
85 VN 700

I'm with cindy on the old style petcock with a normal plate (though - did the bike start when ya were messing with it? It SHOULD have in the prime positon).

One ya get this figured out - I'd think about a motorcycle cover and a lock for the same - that should keep the kids off of the bike and keep ya from needing to worry about them changing a setting that'll be inconvenient to find out about 5 miles down the road....

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

It is very strange indeed, I know the kill switch just shuts off the electrical so the engine won't attempt to turn over. I brainstormed over what could be doing it, I removed the vacumn line to see if it would make a difference which it didn't but as soon as I stopped using the kill switch, the engine wouldn't flood. I am debating on wether I want to replace the gaskets in the petcock or just replace the petcock altogether and see if either of those makes a difference. What do you think?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
It is very strange indeed, I know the kill switch just shuts off the electrical so the engine won't attempt to turn over. I brainstormed over what could be doing it, I removed the vacumn line to see if it would make a difference which it didn't but as soon as I stopped using the kill switch, the engine wouldn't flood. I am debating on wether I want to replace the gaskets in the petcock or just replace the petcock altogether and see if either of those makes a difference. What do you think?
I'd pull the petcock and see what shape the gaskets are in - cheap fix, and more likely to be a gasket issue than something structural to the petcock.

On second thought (my edit here), maybe there's a short in the kill switch that's causing a problem?

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 08-14-2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Another thought
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 03:54 PM

could it be a float stuck temporarily? as posts have said ---huh? seafoam anyone? easy things first. ( my edit) for years i worked as an a/c tech, and used the acronym kiss to remind me to ( keep it simple stupid) it helped to keep me from over diagnosing the problem, causing unnecessary parts, labor not to speak of embarassment. its not always the simple things, but when it is you sure feel good

Last edited by aradams; 08-14-2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: kiss
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Bumpy and I pulled and cleaned the carbs and I know that isn't the issue. It only floods when I have the kill switch in the off position. I know it doesn't make sense. The problem with the gaskets is that new gaskets are going to cost about $30 and a new petcock that comes with the gaskets is about $85 and that is my dilema at this point. The gaskets are somewhat worn and should be replaced but I don't want to but them and then have to turn around and buy the petcock that comes with them on top of it. I am leaning towards just replacing the whole petcock but really not sure yet. The past 2 days I have not used the kill switch and have not had any flooding or any problems starting the engine. I just have no clue at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement