Can't get carb out? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 130
iTrader: (1)
 
Can't get carb out?

I bought a '92 750 a few months ago, in the dead of winter. I knew she needed some work and it's finally warm enough to start...well mostly. In any case, I've got some mechanical experience working on cars through the years (engine swap, trans replacement, misc parts all over the place), but motorcycles and carburetor engines are new territory. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with the most basic of things..I can't get the damn thing out!

I've disconnected the air intake hoses, the throttle cables, fuel lines, removed the fuel tank, etc.. The problem is the carb seems to be pretty stuck in there. The carb itself is disconnected from the cylinder on each side, with the hoses still attached to the cylinders. The air intake hosts are also disconnected from the carb, but still attached to the plastic air intake manifold. I tried pulling those out, but I'm afraid of tearing the hoses at this point.

I also can't get the choke cable disconnected - but I've got enough slack that I can probably take care of that once it's out - definitely a tight fit in there.

Any advice on getting the carb out? I can't find any decent videos on youtube - just before and after which doesn't do much good.
kagaku is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GreenwoodFrickinLakeNY
Posts: 10,354
iTrader: (8)
   
If I remember right, it comes out easiest to the right side....its not easy by any means, but once you do it once, it will seem easy....helps to have the big plastic airbox removed....but then ya do an earshave, which Id say over 1/2 here have done....



Wolfie is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
 
OleDirtyDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norwich,NY
Posts: 16,036
iTrader: (0)
     
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Yep right side

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
OleDirtyDoc is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Mountain Man
 
Spots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oliver Springs, TN
Posts: 175
iTrader: (2)
 
Its probabky hanging on the intake boots. Leave the left boot (front cylinder) on the motor and pull the carb out from it. Leave the right boot (rear cylinder) on the carb and remove it from the motor. Its a real pain, much easier with the airbox gone but then you gotta rejet and buy pod filters. Ive had mine on and off 5 times this week.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

1993 VN 750 bobber/bagger mix named "Halfbreed"
Degoated
Turn signals deleted
Center stand deleted
Custom wrapped straight pipes
Ear Shave
NGK Iridium plugs
Mean Streak seat
MCCT conversion
Saddleman saddlebags
Spots is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 AM
Chasin' the blacktop
 
Spencer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Maysville GA
Posts: 1,498
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spots View Post
Its probabky hanging on the intake boots. Leave the left boot (front cylinder) on the motor and pull the carb out from it. Leave the right boot (rear cylinder) on the carb and remove it from the motor. Its a real pain, much easier with the airbox gone but then you gotta rejet and buy pod filters. Ive had mine on and off 5 times this week.
X2 but a few additional thoughts. The choke cable is probably the one cable you need to get off to get the carbs out. The throttle cables are long enough to allow the carbs to pull out past the bike a few inches..

Using a long screwdriver or thin prybar wedge the black plastic surge tank (air box) up high, really get 'er up there a few inches. then pull the carbs off the boots and then work it out the right side.

Takes a while the 1st time. Patience and figure about an hour to get the carbs out the 1st time. Remember that they are expensive thin aluminum so no kicking. Grab a beer and work slowly.

After pulling my carbs and realizing they were going to be just as hard to get past the surge tank and back in I went ahead and did an earshave just so I could pull that darn surge tank.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Spencer1 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Mountain Man
 
Spots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oliver Springs, TN
Posts: 175
iTrader: (2)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
X2 but a few additional thoughts. The choke cable is probably the one cable you need to get off to get the carbs out. The throttle cables are long enough to allow the carbs to pull out past the bike a few inches..

Using a long screwdriver or thin prybar wedge the black plastic surge tank (air box) up high, really get 'er up there a few inches. then pull the carbs off the boots and then work it out the right side.

Takes a while the 1st time. Patience and figure about an hour to get the carbs out the 1st time. Remember that they are expensive thin aluminum so no kicking. Grab a beer and work slowly.

After pulling my carbs and realizing they were going to be just as hard to get past the surge tank and back in I went ahead and did an earshave just so I could pull that darn surge tank.
I missed the comment about the choke cable the first time. You are right, I don't think there is anywhere near enough slack to pull the carbs with the cable attached. And after fighting with that bastard of an airbox getting them out I was kinda gleeful when I cut it in pieces to earshave the bike lol

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

1993 VN 750 bobber/bagger mix named "Halfbreed"
Degoated
Turn signals deleted
Center stand deleted
Custom wrapped straight pipes
Ear Shave
NGK Iridium plugs
Mean Streak seat
MCCT conversion
Saddleman saddlebags
Spots is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 686
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagaku View Post
I bought a '92 750 a few months ago, in the dead of winter. I knew she needed some work and it's finally warm enough to start...well mostly. In any case, I've got some mechanical experience working on cars through the years (engine swap, trans replacement, misc parts all over the place), but motorcycles and carburetor engines are new territory. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with the most basic of things..I can't get the damn thing out!

I've disconnected the air intake hoses, the throttle cables, fuel lines, removed the fuel tank, etc.. The problem is the carb seems to be pretty stuck in there. The carb itself is disconnected from the cylinder on each side, with the hoses still attached to the cylinders. The air intake hosts are also disconnected from the carb, but still attached to the plastic air intake manifold. I tried pulling those out, but I'm afraid of tearing the hoses at this point.

I also can't get the choke cable disconnected - but I've got enough slack that I can probably take care of that once it's out - definitely a tight fit in there.

Any advice on getting the carb out? I can't find any decent videos on youtube - just before and after which doesn't do much good.
Detailed instructions here
VoIPDoc is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GreenwoodFrickinLakeNY
Posts: 10,354
iTrader: (8)
   
There ya go....



Wolfie is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 12:13 AM
Alpha Geek
 
Hexadecimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 487
iTrader: (1)
 
Totally worth the "ear shave" in my opinion if you ever work on your own bike. It's hard enough with the air box out. And you don't necessarily need to rejet. My bikes dropped from 50 mpg to 42 with a rejet so I think I can drop a size and tweak my idle screws instead.

Hexadecimus is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 130
iTrader: (1)
 
Thanks for the great advice everyone, I think I'm going to give the ear shave procedure a shot. The unfortunate thing is buying the parts will take a few weeks, but it definitely seems worth it to me.
kagaku is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome