Front cylinder cutting out - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Mountain Man

Front cylinder cutting out

Last night I pulled and cleaned my carbs. They did have some gunk in them. I also cleaned the petcock. While I was there I removed the factory airbox for an ear shave. I'm waiting on my jets but I slapped it back together and went for a spin. Now my front cylinder cuts out under load. Its not bad in first gear but second and third is horrible. If I hammer down it picks back up but still cuts a little. But in the midrange it dies completely. Is this due to nkt having the jets in it yet, and if so why only one cylinder? The back one runs perfect. I tried swapping the plugs, and its getting good spark from the coil. Ideas?

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

1993 VN 750 bobber/bagger mix named "Halfbreed"
Degoated
Turn signals deleted
Center stand deleted
Custom wrapped straight pipes
Ear Shave
NGK Iridium plugs
Mean Streak seat
MCCT conversion
Saddleman saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Old Fart

Garage
This is hard to pin down. We have folks here that say you don't need to rejet for just an earshave (keeping stock exhaust) and there are others that say you need to go to larger jets.
My thinking is perhaps you missed something cleaning the carbs, if the rear jug is running well and the front isn't. I remember reading a post once claiming that you need to use bigger jets in the rear than the front because the front runs cooler.

I think you might want to go through the carbs again and make sure both are whistle clean, the float heights are spot on and there are no tears or holes in the diaphragm. Make sure both choke plungers are working at the same time, and for a point of reference....I'd switch the pilot and main jets front to rear to see if that makes a difference.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Check your float levels and carb boot seals. It worked before you took it apart- the front carb float is notoriously sticky.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

also double check the vent lines, (one each carb, in the center section between them), as well as the fuel lines.

a plugged vent line for the front cyl will cause all sorts of front cyl problems
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
This is hard to pin down. We have folks here that say you don't need to rejet for just an earshave (keeping stock exhaust) and there are others that say you need to go to larger jets.
My thinking is perhaps you missed something cleaning the carbs, if the rear jug is running well and the front isn't. I remember reading a post once claiming that you need to use bigger jets in the rear than the front because the front runs cooler.

I think you might want to go through the carbs again and make sure both are whistle clean, the float heights are spot on and there are no tears or holes in the diaphragm. Make sure both choke plungers are working at the same time, and for a point of reference....I'd switch the pilot and main jets front to rear to see if that makes a difference.
I went through them both again today. I didnt get into the floats either time, this time I'll check them and set them just in case its hanging closed and cutting the fuel off. The diaphragms are good, I checked them both times Ive had the carbs off. The bike does have straight pipes on it so Im sure its lean, just can't imagine it only doing it on one cylinder. I'll check the floats , but everything else in the carbs looks perfect. Thanks for the help guys

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

Degoated
Turn signals deleted
Center stand deleted
Ear Shave
NGK Iridium plugs
Mean Streak seat
MCCT conversion
Saddleman saddlebags
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2001 View Post
Check your float levels and carb boot seals. It worked before you took it apart- the front carb float is notoriously sticky.

Im gonna switch the carb boots next time I pull it down just to check. I'll pull the carbs again tomorrow and check the floats

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
also double check the vent lines, (one each carb, in the center section between them), as well as the fuel lines.

a plugged vent line for the front cyl will cause all sorts of front cyl problems
I checked the vent lines, but I'll check them again.

Degoated
Turn signals deleted
Center stand deleted
Ear Shave
NGK Iridium plugs
Mean Streak seat
MCCT conversion
Saddleman saddlebags
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Is gas coming outta the front carb? Try looking up Wolfie backblow method.might have some Cruz in the float needle

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Is gas coming outta the front carb? Try looking up Wolfie backblow method.might have some Cruz in the float needle

No fuel from front carb, and with the filters off you can watch the slide move up and down correctly. I'll try back blowing it, but my money is on a hung float now that someone mentioned it.

Degoated
Turn signals deleted
Center stand deleted
Ear Shave
NGK Iridium plugs
Mean Streak seat
MCCT conversion
Saddleman saddlebags
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Banned

You can easily check fuel level in the bowls w/o pulling anything.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsonta View Post
You can easily check fuel level in the bowls w/o pulling anything.
To late. Ive got the carbs off again. Ive torn them all the way down. Neither float was hung that I found, and they both float. Gonna swap the bodies and boota front and rear and see if it follows them. If so ill swap the boots back to narrow it down.

Degoated
Turn signals deleted
Center stand deleted
Ear Shave
NGK Iridium plugs
Mean Streak seat
MCCT conversion
Saddleman saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement