Fuel separator and canister? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowley

Fuel separator and canister?

Doing the ear shave and I pulled the small fuel separator from the bottom of the bike... What should I do? If I leave it out, where should I route the rubber hoses at the bottom of the tank?

If I reattach it, will everything attach to stock locations? (I think one of the hoses was pulled from an area that was part of the ear shave)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

is your bike california emission? or 49 state?

the systems are different.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I pulled the small fuel separator from the bottom of the bike...
There IS no "fuel separator".

Was suggested to you before, to download the manual. Have you ? No. If you had you wouldnt be asking this question.

It was also suggested to you that you fully read the earshave proceedure. Have you ? No.

Further posts such as this that have either been answered 20x, or exist just due to a member's lack of desire to search will be deleted. Initialy with explaination. After that, no.

Its not just you Nadan, but many new members. Seems like bikers nowadays are just too lazy to search things. Well, wont go over well here, as these useless additional posts take up bandwidth. It wont continue much longer.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowley

Yes, I have a service manual. It shows part 16165,separator. I have read the ear shave procedure, and it only mentions the whole reed valve assembly, not the fuel lines.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

the canister you are referring to is designed to supply air to the exhaust to allow for more complete air burning in the exhaust pipe (EPA crap). With the airbox gone you have eliminated the air source to be injected into the pipes. This is good and a normal part of an earshave.

At this point you have 2 options. The quick cheaty method is called marbeling. Grab 2 small marbles (steal them from your kids) and put one in each of the rubber lines that come out of your engine's heads (one on each side of the bike, front cylinder and rear cylinder) plugging these air lines with the marbles. Later when you've made or bought some plates you can remove the hose mounts completely from the heads and cover them with some metal plates.

By stopping this extra air injection into your exhaust you will reduce the backfiring in the exhaust.

Give me a call if you need more help.
Spencer
706-207-1080

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowley

Spencer - I'd ask you to review what you are referring to to ensure that we are talking about the same part. There are two canister-like devices I removed. One is the large canister located in front of the battery, relatively high up on the bike. This canister connects to the reed valves on the heads. This is Not what I am referring to.

I refer to the smaller canister located under the first. It has hoses that connect to the gas tank and a square canister.

For clarity, it's a 49 bike, not a California

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowley

Also, I fabbed my own coasters.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

you have california emmissions it would seem. A way to help determine this, is how many vacuum/vent lines on your fuel tank? NON Cali emmission have only 1 vent line at the rear of tank, and the petcock. cali emissions has more vent lines on tank
it has additional components that need to be dealt with. Unfortunatly, I dont know what needs to be done with these extra parts in an ear shave

Last edited by michiganteddybear; 03-08-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Crowley

How interesting....... I have two nipples at the base of the tank, one hose underneath, and the petcock.

Wolfie, I hope you now understand this post is relevant and not a redundancy of useless questions.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Nadan, Yep, you've got a lot more emissions stuff than my 2003 non-California bike has. Ignore my thoughts since I don't know the smog stuff you have but since my bike works well without it I suspect you can just rip it out.

engine, carbs, exhaust pipes. all that is needed. rip it and plug and vacum lines. The only vacum line that counts is the short one hooked from a carb to your petcock.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement