Fuel leak w/pics - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
King Noob

Question Fuel leak w/pics

Okay I am still playing around with a couple of leaks and I have no clue on one and posibly know why on the other one. The first is from an area with a bolt clamp on the left side of the bike (if sitting on it) right by the center stand.

Here is a picture from a little different angle to show location a bit better.

Yes my daughter likes to park her "bike" next to my "bike" lol. What issues might cause that leak and what does that clamp hold in place?

I am also posting one just for verification. I want to make sure that this picture is showing the vacumn line going from the petcock to the carb (the most obvious line anyways). It is slightly cracked at the top where it goes into the petcock and I know I need to replace it. Could that be why I am getting gas leaking from the carb into that line? Could that affect the other leak at all? I am very new to this so please continue to have patience with me. I appreciate all the help that everyone has given so far. This is really a great community.

Kirk
Mount Dora, Florida
1995 Vulcan 750 "Frankenstein"
It's Alive!! First ride around the block 28 July 07

Starting Milage 21,097
Current Milage 24,238
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hey, Kirk - in those first two pics, it looks like the leak is coming down the pre-muffler chamber on the left (sitting on the bike) side. The clamps in your pic hold the muffler onto the pre-muffler, so nothing about them should cause any trouble. And you're sure it's fuel, and not anti-freeze or oil? Or even gunk from a regular battery? There's a vent line off of your fuel tank, but that line sits in front of your exhaust chamber thing; there's an overflow line for your anti-freeze towards the back of the bike...but it's on the other side. And it sounds like the bike isn't running yet, so it's hard for me to see how that could be blow-back from a spot way ahead of that.

Yes, your vacuum line is hooked up correctly, but that also shouldn't affect the leak. However, the fuel line coming off to the right of the vacuum line (looking at the pic) appears to be crimped there at the bottom where it makes a 90-degree turn towards the engine block.

My gut sense is to pull the carbs and see what your fuel lines look line on those...but I'd let someone else weigh in before doing that. No, wait, I've changed my mind - my gut sense is to pull your exhaust system and see what's getting in there - on second review of those pics, it looks like something's coming out of where the muffler attachest to the premuffler.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 07-21-2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Responded to third pic; sorry - rethought my answer
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Old Skool Metal Head

Kirk, the fuel line that is kinked, turn the outlet from the pet cock round so it faces directly into the carbs, if its stiff to turn, spray a little WD-40 on it and leave it a few minutes.

'94 VN750 A10
Chopped The HELL up!!!!

VN800 YOKES
VN1500 Forks
Moulded and de-seamed Tank
Hardtailed frame
Custom front and rear fenders
Hand made stop/tail light
Grips by Mute
Air Ride Seat with built in tank and compressor
custom seat
Flush fit filler....i'll stop there for now!!!!!

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
King Noob

Yeah I quickly put the tank on hoping I had found and fixed the leak but no such luck. I didn't wory about the kink in it as I was only going to have it on for a couple of minutes. I appreciate you noticing that though. It is great that everyone is offering help and support. It makes it so much easier for noobs like myself. I am going to take off the muffler and try and figure out where the gas is coming from and why from there. It is definetly gas.

Kirk
Mount Dora, Florida

Starting Milage 21,097
Current Milage 24,238
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 06:23 PM
"ya can't live forever"

The fuel line connecting to the carb is rubbing up against that large nut on the engine, check and see if it has worn through there. It looks like if there is a leak there, it would run down to that clamp you mentioned.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Old Skool Metal Head

HOLD UP A SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!

in the first pic, The silver clamp in the foreground...just behind the exhaust heat shield, is all black and wet, is that the leak? if so the engine is seriously flooded and is dumping fuel through the exhaust.

'94 VN750 A10
Chopped The HELL up!!!!

VN800 YOKES
VN1500 Forks
Hardtailed frame
Grips by Mute
custom seat
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

That's why I asked if it was gas, 'cause on closer inspection, the source appears to be the exhaust... Soooo, seems like a front cyl breakdown might be in order?

C
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Old Skool Metal Head

sorry Cindy, hadnt read your post properly, my bad

'94 VN750 A10
Chopped The HELL up!!!!

VN800 YOKES
VN1500 Forks
Hardtailed frame
Grips by Mute
custom seat
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
King Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
HOLD UP A SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!

in the first pic, The silver clamp in the foreground...just behind the exhaust heat shield, is all black and wet, is that the leak? if so the engine is seriously flooded and is dumping fuel through the exhaust.

Yes that is the leak and that would make sense as the only time it comes out is when I attempt to start it and then quite a bit comes out and fairly fast. What might the cause be and why so much at one time when I only press the starter once or twice. The engine isn't catching (guess too flodded to catch) but would that be the carbs being bad or the petcock releasing too much gas maybe? Bumpy750 told me that my petcock might be bad. I am hoping its nothing too intense as I am still learning but only time will tell. Once again I appreciate all the help so far.

Kirk
Mount Dora, Florida

Starting Milage 21,097
Current Milage 24,238
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 11:21 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
That leak is on teh Left side, That would be the rear cylender not the front.
You may have a stuck float in the carb causing a major flooding condition.
Your oil will be washed out to if this is the case.
Check the overflow hose from the carb, it drops down to that area to, that may be leaking and just dripping on the exhause.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement