I hear a sucking sound coming from my air cut off valve. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Question I hear a sucking sound coming from my air cut off valve.

It is a 1994 vulcan 750.Hello I am new to the forum but I am not new to vn750's. It seem my bike was sitting for about 4 weeks and I fire it up runs good for about 10 miles then, at a redlight, I hear a sucking noise {like the kn filter on my truck,I do have kn filters on the bike to but not where noise is coming from}, It is coming from the right side carb air cut off valve and when I cram my finger in next to the circular metal outside of the air cut off valve on the side of the carb it reduces the sucking of air. Now I am sure it is the rubber on the air cut off valve just in bad shape it has wrinkles in it when I looked at it. I do understand to much air mean backfires and high revs also slow rev downs I have all of these. I guess I am just double checking to see if anyone has had a similar problem I was thinking maybe a charging problem but I also have a new gell battery and i t charges to 14.2 at 3500 rpms it is in range. One more thing I did the headlight trick to make it come on always by swithching the blue wire into the open connector and it did make the headlight come on but it wouldnt charge at all just drain the battery it was 12.3 at 3500 rpm changes the wire back to orginal spot now it charges and headlight works is there something wrong there. I would love the advice from the real vulcan mechanics aka you guys thanks alot in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

MKay it was the air cut off valves tiny oring not installed correctly. I took it out went to autozone fount one {oring} and voila no more sputters or troubles. Thanks for the help cough cough
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Did you check the O ring in the air cut off valve?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

had that problem on mine (on front carb, left side of bike) after a cleaning. turns out the oring was ok, just not seated...

NOTE: that oring is not normal.. it has a flat side on it that goes against the carb body when installing
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:08 PM
2014 KLR 650!

Where is the air cut off valve please. Mine makes a chugging sucking sound at the left K&N filter

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

It is the circular looking piece on the side of your carb. It has 2 screws and it pops rite out watch out for that spring or you will chase it across your shop. My oring ironicaly was put on by me of course the wrong side down there is a flat side to it I notice now. They sell flat side/round side o-rings at most autoparts stores just trial and error finding one be sure to get the gas resistant rubber type oring if you do this. It was a easy fix if you have the same problem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 09:10 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeysandwich View Post
It is the circular looking piece on the side of your carb. It has 2 screws and it pops rite out watch out for that spring or you will chase it across your shop. My oring ironicaly was put on by me of course the wrong side down there is a flat side to it I notice now. They sell flat side/round side o-rings at most autoparts stores just trial and error finding one be sure to get the gas resistant rubber type oring if you do this. It was a easy fix if you have the same problem.
Search On Line, I've seen them for $40+ and _had_ a link for $24.00+ each....someone w/more info should chime in here soon......
...one EACH carb btw.....
examine/inspect the gasket as well.....

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement