carb problem solved (I think) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

carb problem solved (I think)

So last time out one cylinder was going out and back in and not idling great at times so I figured a carb cleaning was in my future (love this ethanol). Reading here what was involved in removing these carbs, I was not looking forward to the experience. Today, being a rainy day here in NJ, I figured it was a good day to spend it in the warm dry garage and aggravate myself getting the carbs off. Fortunately, before I got too much disconnected, I loosened the left side air intake boot and discovered a big rubber bushing sitting there blocking the pilot ports of that carb. It was the bushing from the air box up above where the large rubber tube connects to it from the air valve. I guess it came loose and found its way down to the carb. Made sense that was causing my problem, so I put the boot back on, re-installed the tank and fired it up. It seemed to run much better down my street and back. I will take it out for a longer test ride on a drier day, but I think that was my problem.
Since no one gives a **** and I needed to tell someone, you guys who can appreciate my story get to read it, so thanks.
Footnote: when I went to put my tank back on, I discovered the two rubber dampers for the side mounting bolts were missing so I blamed the jackass previous owner or whoever had the tank off last and was going to order two new ones when I came in later. When I started going over all of my chrome with NeverDull, and I got to the air cleaner housings, I noticed a big rubber damper behind it. Then I found the other one hiding in the same spot on the other side. So it looks like i'm the jackass but not a big enough jackass that I ordered two new ones before i found the ones I dropped. So now I have a clean, complete and hopefully good running bike again. Happy New Year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Banned

Any idea how it got in the airbox? Have to be a human involved?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:11 PM

Same place I found my dampers, right after I bought new ones.

Did you put the grommet back where it goes? Will suck dirt in around that hose if you don't. Mine are all history with the earshave.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Same place I found my dampers, right after I bought new ones.

Daaamn, you found your dampeners inside one of your carburetors?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I discovered the two rubber dampers for the side (fuel tank) mounting bolts were missing so I blamed the jackass previous owner or whoever had the tank off last and was going to order two new ones when I came in later. When I started going over all of my chrome with NeverDull, and I got to the air cleaner housings, I noticed a big rubber damper behind it. Then I found the other one hiding in the same spot on the other side.
Also, I'm not sure Nevr-Dull is good for plastic chrome.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:59 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommie67 View Post
Footnote: when I went to put my tank back on, I discovered the two rubber dampers for the side mounting bolts were missing so I blamed the jackass previous owner or whoever had the tank off last and was going to order two new ones when I came in later. When I started going over all of my chrome with NeverDull, and I got to the air cleaner housings, I noticed a big rubber damper behind it. Then I found the other one hiding in the same spot on the other side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dommie67 View Post
So it looks like i'm the jackass but not a big enough jackass that I ordered two new ones before i found the ones I dropped.
You are not the first..... Niether was I !

Been there........done that !

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 12-29-2013 at 09:22 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I put the grommet back in the air box. Best I can figure someone before me must have been in there and not put it back properly.

No, I found the big air box hose grommet in one of my carbs. I found the tank dampers behind the air cleaners.

Why wouldn't NeverDull be good for the plastic chrome? Really cleaned it up nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement