carb problem solved (I think)
So last time out one cylinder was going out and back in and not idling great at times so I figured a carb cleaning was in my future (love this ethanol). Reading here what was involved in removing these carbs, I was not looking forward to the experience. Today, being a rainy day here in NJ, I figured it was a good day to spend it in the warm dry garage and aggravate myself getting the carbs off. Fortunately, before I got too much disconnected, I loosened the left side air intake boot and discovered a big rubber bushing sitting there blocking the pilot ports of that carb. It was the bushing from the air box up above where the large rubber tube connects to it from the air valve. I guess it came loose and found its way down to the carb. Made sense that was causing my problem, so I put the boot back on, re-installed the tank and fired it up. It seemed to run much better down my street and back. I will take it out for a longer test ride on a drier day, but I think that was my problem.
Since no one gives a **** and I needed to tell someone, you guys who can appreciate my story get to read it, so thanks.
Footnote: when I went to put my tank back on, I discovered the two rubber dampers for the side mounting bolts were missing so I blamed the jackass previous owner or whoever had the tank off last and was going to order two new ones when I came in later. When I started going over all of my chrome with NeverDull, and I got to the air cleaner housings, I noticed a big rubber damper behind it. Then I found the other one hiding in the same spot on the other side. So it looks like i'm the jackass but not a big enough jackass that I ordered two new ones before i found the ones I dropped. So now I have a clean, complete and hopefully good running bike again. Happy New Year.