Is my bike running rich? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Is my bike running rich?

I recently got a vn750 and so far it seems to run pretty well other than two things(not including an unresolved, but identified electrical issue). First is that the milage seems pretty low. Second the bike seems to be much easier to cold start with the choke off and if i put the choke on once it starts it will sometimes kill it(once the bike is warmed up it doesn't make a difference other than increasing the rpms). Would these be symptoms of it running rich? I will check the turns of the air/fuel screws when I get home, but I figured some people may be able to tell based on that info. Thank you.

Oh also it does smell like gas pretty strongly when it runs(stinks up the garage pretty quick even with it open)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

I would check your spark plugs before you go messing with the carb settings, if they are black and or wet, probably running rich. If you don't need to use your choke to start, don't mess with with it. Why is low mileage concerning? What year is the bike? Sometimes the speedometer cable brakes, and maybe the PO rode it a while without replacing, then replaced before selling. I bought mine last year, 1993, with 12,000.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I meant low miles per gallon. And I'll check the sparkplugs as soon as possible(I need to go get the right socket), but since it's easy to adjust I redid the screws. They were 4.5 turns out and now they are about 3 turns out. Seems to be running better overall, but I'll check the plugs, replace them and then see what the new ones look like after a ride.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmat1120 View Post
Sorry, I meant low miles per gallon. And I'll check the sparkplugs as soon as possible(I need to go get the right socket), but since it's easy to adjust I redid the screws. They were 4.5 turns out and now they are about 3 turns out. Seems to be running better overall, but I'll check the plugs, replace them and then see what the new ones look like after a ride.
The normal starting point I believe is 2.5 turns out but I am sure someone else will pop in with the definite answer as to the starting point. Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Yup, thats what I found on this forum. I started at 2.5 and it ran fine so maybe I should've left it there? I wasn't sure how to tell if it was running lean or not so I figured another 1/2-3/4 turn couldn't hurt. Especially in comparison to 2 full turns like it was before.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmat1120 View Post
Yup, thats what I found on this forum. I started at 2.5 and it ran fine so maybe I should've left it there? I wasn't sure how to tell if it was running lean or not so I figured another 1/2-3/4 turn couldn't hurt. Especially in comparison to 2 full turns like it was before.
I would say to pull the plugs and take a look at them. If they look alright and clean then reinstall and set things at 2.5 again and try that for a time. There is a thread on here about reading plugs I believe and it isn't very old so you should be able to do a search quite easily to find it. I try to monitor my mpg every few tanks just to see if there is a negative pattern developing. Remember that constant hard riding, constant city riding vs. cruising and long open road riding will give different readings. Try to compare equal riding modes to give best results for comparison. Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement