Reversing Ear-shave - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Reversing Ear-shave

When I bought my 2000 VN750 last week, the PO had done the ear-shave procedure, and told me he'd had the carbs professionally cleaned. He gave me the original factory parts, and I wanted to return to stock, since I'll be riding in all weather, and didn't want the air filters exposed at all... He hadn't removed the surge tank, so I just reconnected the intake hoses to the carbs, and put the factory ears back on. I added new K&N air filters too. Everything seems to be running okay, but not smooth... there's some hesitation at higher RPMs. it dawned on me, and he confirmed that he had the carbs re-jetted with new needles when he did the original ear-shave.

What do I need to do to reverse that procedure and get everything balanced back to stock?

Thanks!

------------------------------
GloryRider
Atlanta, GA
Current Ride: 1995 Vulcan 88 (1500A9)
Purchased Dec. 2014
approx. 6,800 miles

Previous Bike: 2000 VN750 "Glory"
With homemade stator
Details on stator build here

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul"

"You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime." - Burt Munro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I would guess you need to return the bike to stock jetting.

But first I'd remove the diaphragms and see if there are washers under the needles. You might just have to remove those, and this can be done without removing the carbs I believe.
Also check that your carb vent lines are plugged into the back of the right ear.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 10:11 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryRider View Post
When I bought my 2000 VN750 last week, the PO had done the ear-shave procedure, and told me he'd had the carbs professionally cleaned. He gave me the original factory parts, and I wanted to return to stock, since I'll be riding in all weather, and didn't want the air filters exposed at all... He hadn't removed the surge tank, so I just reconnected the intake hoses to the carbs, and put the factory ears back on. I added new K&N air filters too. Everything seems to be running okay, but not smooth... there's some hesitation at higher RPMs. it dawned on me, and he confirmed that he had the carbs re-jetted with new needles when he did the original ear-shave.

What do I need to do to reverse that procedure and get everything balanced back to stock?

Thanks!
I've been riding in torrential rains this summer with the ear shave without any problems whatsoever. If the original exhaust is on there then go back to the stock jets. I can't see a reason to force more gas in than what the stock jets do. My bike hauls butt.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Knifemaker, I'm not sure if the vent lines are plugged in there... I'll check that...

GoofyFoot - The exhaust isn't stock... here's some pics so you can see what it looks like...

So, you're saying it might be better to go back to the ear-shave, and you haven't had any issues with water getting sucked into the engine?

GloryRider
Atlanta, GA
Purchased Dec. 2014
approx. 6,800 miles

With homemade stator

"You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime." - Burt Munro
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I agree if the bike ran good with the earshave I'd have left it alone. I too have rode bikes with the pod type filters on them in the pouring rain and never had a problem.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that's my motto too! It wasn't running well at all with the earshave... after I put the stock ears back, and everything, it's running a lot better, but just noticing some hesitation at higher speeds when I've been riding it over the past few days... I've put a little over 100 miles on it since doing the work. It could be the spark plugs I suppose, hopefully new ones arrive today, and I can pop 'em in...

Here's some photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3578384...7637914572023/

GloryRider
Atlanta, GA
Purchased Dec. 2014
approx. 6,800 miles

With homemade stator

Last edited by GloryRider; 11-21-2013 at 01:41 PM.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Garage
you mentioned on your other thread that the clutch might be giving you isues in first gear.....is it really a hesitation at high speeds or could the clutch be slipping?

Also make sure the carb vent hose is tucked away out of the wind....this has been known to cause the same sympton. since yours is ear shaved, the vent tubes off the carbs are connected together with a "T" connector and should either be tucked under the tank, tucked into the frame somplace, or have a breather filter on the end. any wind across or into the vent could cause the fuel flow in the carbs to be effected.....causing hesitation or surging.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Old Fart

Garage
According to his post kc2, his bike is no longer earshaved, he put the stock air system back on. I mentioned the carb vent line that goes to the right ear in post #2.

My take on this is the bike ran fine until he put the stock airboxes back on.

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I don't know why my posts aren't going through... hmmm...

The bike wasn't running at all when I first got it, but after a 24hr battery charge, and it would crank, but didn't run well at all... after I got the factory air system back on, it ran better... I think the spark plugs need to be replaced, which will happen hopefully tonight... I didn't know about the vent hoses, but you're right, they are connected with a T, and then look like they're running into some round metal doohickys under the seat...

GloryRider
Atlanta, GA
Purchased Dec. 2014
approx. 6,800 miles

With homemade stator

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

GloryRider, I shaved my ears last year and love the way the bike runs in all weather now, easier to start too. Still if you are unsure about how you reversed it I may be able to help. I'm about an hour North of you in Maysville.
Spencer

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement