Can't open gas tank - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Can't open gas tank

Hey all! It's been a while since I've posted on here, I hope everyone is doing well.

And as usual, I always end up having weird issues. I went to open up my tank the other day and I wasn't able to, the key turned a little and then bent from the resistance. I was able to bend it back and put some WD40 in there and it still didn't work. I assumed it got a little corroded in there seeing how I live in Florida but I can't really figure out what to do...Any help would be appreciated!

And then of course, when I was able to bend my key back (it was BARELY bent) I now can't even start the bike(the ignition wont turn to start)...Even though the key is back to where it was originally. I have a spare key but the previous owner said it doesn't work, which he was correct. Anyway, any suggestions on that? Or do I need to call the dealership in hopes that they have a copy or can order me one?

Sorry for all the trouble! I'm eternally grateful for all the help you guys have provided me in the past.

-Jo

Last edited by Jocyne; 11-13-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:15 PM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocyne View Post
Hey all! It's been a while since I've posted on here, I hope everyone is doing well.

And as usual, I always end up having weird issues. I went to open up my tank the other day and I wasn't able to, the key turned a little and then bent from the resistance. I was able to bend it back and put some WD40 in there and it still didn't work. I assumed it got a little corroded in there seeing how I live in Florida but I can't really figure out what to do...Any help would be appreciated!

And then of course, when I was able to bend my key back (it was BARELY bent) I now can't even start the bike(the ignition wont turn to start)...Even though the key is back to where it was originally. I have a spare key but the previous owner said it doesn't work, which he was correct. Anyway, any suggestions on that? Or do I need to call the dealership in hopes that they have a copy or can order me one?

Sorry for all the trouble! I'm eternally grateful for all the help you guys have provided me in the past.

-Jo
Did you press down on the cap hard while turning? I can't open mine otherwise.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
Did you press down on the cap hard while turning? I can't open mine otherwise.
I sure did. :/

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Jack of all trades

Well you can always knock the pin outta the hinge to get it open. Once you take it off you can see what's really going on with it. Either needs a good cleaning (bet that's it) or something is bent/worn enough to not work. As for your key I'm sure a local locksmith can cut u one if they have the blank. The stealership will be expensive for a key. If your spare is in good shape you could have both the gas cap and ign rekeyed to the spare.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Angell View Post
Well you can always knock the pin outta the hinge to get it open. Once you take it off you can see what's really going on with it. Either needs a good cleaning (bet that's it) or something is bent/worn enough to not work. As for your key I'm sure a local locksmith can cut u one if they have the blank. The stealership will be expensive for a key. If your spare is in good shape you could have both the gas cap and ign rekeyed to the spare.
I will definitely try that out and check into a local locksmith, if the key wont work again tonight. Thank you!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:33 PM
R/R = Relocated Redneck

I had problems with both spares i had cut. Picked up a set of mini files at harbor freight and massaged the keys until they worked. You could probably use a fingernail file if push came to shove.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Mods
Voltmeter/clock/temperature gauge
HD Electra Glide Fairing
Earshave/Coastered/CA emissions - gone...
R/R relocated
Nightster seat
Tombstone taillight
Drag specialties turn signals relocated
Sportster progressive shocks... Dropped rear 1 1/2"
Progressive Fork Springs dropped front 1"
NGK plug wires and iridium plugs
Coil Relay Mod
Paint
ACCT to MCCT
Honda Rebel luggage rack
VN800 Handlebars & controls
Screamin Eagle mufflers
F&S Engine Guard & Kury highway pegs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:40 PM
200% senile

The gas cap on the 96 I just recently bought would not open either. No way, no how, bent the key trying. I knew to push down hard on it while trying to open it but that wasn't working either.

My neighbor came over and I told him the problem. He slammed his fist down on top of the cap, put the key in and opened it right up.

Needless to say probably but once open, I lubed everything up and worked the mechanism until everything was moving freely before closing it again.

My son straightened the key back out and we have been good to go ever since.

1996 VN 750
2007 Vulcan Mean Streak SE

When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Giggity!

Garage
As for re-keying. I had a lot of trouble finding a dealer who would cut me a key. But for them to do that, they'll need the numbers off of it. All the locksmiths in my area I found to be ridiculously priced. $85!
I got a key made from a dealer in New Philadelphia Ohio for about $12 & $5 for the key.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 01:42 AM

I bought some rubber headed keys off eBay and went to the local locksmith w/ the gas cap and new keys and they where able todo it.

PS locksmith didn't carry blanks for Kawasaki's.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

I had to buy a blank key off EBay and take it to my local locksmith to get it cut. total cost $9.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement