Walmart gunfire - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Walmart gunfire

I just bought a motorcycle on ebay about a month ago. It kept dying on my way to work. Thanks to suggestions on this forum, I was able to fix that problem. I cleaned up the electrical connections. My voltage went up from 12.8 to 14 (when running).

But I have one more little problem. About once every 15 or so starts, it just WON'T start. If I push the bike, then put it in gear, it starts fine. Is this normal? I've not cleaned the carb. Would this help? How do other people start their bikes? Do people normally need choke? If my bike doesn't want to start, it most often will also backfire. This really make people give me dirty looks in the walmart parking lot! How to people normally push start their bike? Do people start it in 1rst or 2nd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Gnarly Jokester

Location: Southwest of Ruby Ridge, Geiger Heights, Washington, USA.

I haven't had to push a bike for a long time, but I used to use 2nd gear to start, 1st year might have a dangerous kick back.

`
"When the sun's comin' up,
I got cakes on the griddle.
Life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle,
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"

`
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
you probably still on factory battery. consider changing to MF. i know this may sound weird but it solved my hot restart and explosive backfiring problems.

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Search Goddess

A couple of things..
First a maintenance free battery will greatly improve your starting, plus you don't have to take the seat off every week to check the battery levels and you don't have to worry about acid spills or the vent tube coming off.

This has helped with a lot of the hot start problems.

If it is a cold start problem, normal starting with a cold bike is full to partial choke, no throttle. Hot start is no choke and just a blip of the throttle.

BTW, I usually start my bike in neutral, that way I don't have to worry about it going anywhere until I am ready to.

If neither of those seem to do the trick it may be a "flat spot" on the starter. Try putting the bike in gear and rocking it hard forward and back til it hits the stopping point and try the start again. If this starts the bike then it points to a starter. A good cleaning of the insides (of the starter) may solve the problem. The starter hanghs down there at the bottom of the bike and gathers a lot of road crud. Some of this does seem to eventually work it's way inside.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:48 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradweist View Post
How to people normally push start their bike? Do people start it in 1rst or 2nd?
I haven't needed to push start my Vulcan yet. But have many times on the dirtbike.
1st gear is usually pretty tough to get it started in. I usually use 3rd.

But, with the positive neutral finder on the Vulcan, can you get it into 2nd or 3rd if you're not moving?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 PM

I have an 86 and can get it into 2nd while its not running, but not beyond that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If this happens to you when the engine is hot, like after filling with gas, and the engine turns over good but won't fire, it's 98% chance an Maintenance Free battery will fix the problem. If the starter drags and won't turn over the engine, then it might be your starter.

The infamous "hot start" problem happens with the engine hot, starter turns over the engine but it won't fire up, usually accompanied by a nasty backfire that will start a prayer meeting in what ever parking lot you are in. This is generally fixed with a good sealed MF battery.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Why aren't we riding?

A regulator/rectifier move can also resolve the hot start backfire issue. Both are recommended. The R/R overheating has been blamed for the hot start issue. If the R/R gets too hot and fries, there is a chance it will kill your stator as well. Replacing the stator requires almost pulling the engine at least (a tilt), or a full pull, most people do the full pull as you are so close once you've gotten to a tilt.

"Angel"
1990 VN750
Loads of extras
On the road.

"Priscilla" aka "The other woman"
1985 VN700
(Purchased from DMAG)
Rebuilding for the road.

Buy it to ride it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement