Backfire after taking out evap - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Backfire after taking out evap

Bought used 86 cheap not knowing how bad it was. Ran good but leaked about a qt of oil going to the grocery store and back. Rebuilt the engine and stripped out the CA evap. Marbled it, routed the hoses, and set the pilot screws to 2 1/2 turns. The one thing I didn't understand in the instructions was where it said to remove the small hose from the rear carb and plug the fitting on the carb????

Can anyone set me straight on that? (I routed the two air hoses from the carbs to the right ear but I don't understand the plugging the rear carb thing.)

The reason I'm asking is when I drove it the first 20 mi on a hard break-in there were no backfires. When I drove it the second time it was popping every time I decelerated.

Any ideas?

Ordinarily I'd try and figure it out but with failing health it was all I could do to get it running again (10 mos). At this point all I want to do is ride while I still can. All help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 04:38 AM

I am going to assume your petrol tap is vacuum controlled. if this is the case then you have a small rubber vacuum pipe from the left carb going to the petrol tap. On the other carb you should have a mirror image of the same small nipple where the second vacuum pipe went to the emissions valve that you have removed, this is the one that now needs to be blanked off to prevent air being drawn into the carb. At the top of the carbs are the two slightly larger diameter float bowl breather tubes, these go to a "tee" and the single pipe goes into the right "ear" (cut the end at 45 degrees so it doesn't get blocked).

One can never have too many alternative forms of transport.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage

the nipple faceing us with out the fuel hose is the one gibo is talking about

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
I am going to assume your petrol tap is vacuum controlled. if this is the case then you have a small rubber vacuum pipe from the left carb going to the petrol tap. On the other carb you should have a mirror image of the same small nipple where the second vacuum pipe went to the emissions valve that you have removed, this is the one that now needs to be blanked off to prevent air being drawn into the carb. At the top of the carbs are the two slightly larger diameter float bowl breather tubes, these go to a "tee" and the single pipe goes into the right "ear" (cut the end at 45 degrees so it doesn't get blocked).
Petrol means gas LOL. I put a tub on the rear carb vacuum fitting (right side) and just pinched it off. The tube that ran to your right ear originally, is the one that needs the dead air and I ran it to one of the two crankcase filters in the verses. I put tape around the front half of that filter to block airflow. the front crankcase tube coming out of the front cylinder goes into the right crankcase filter. Hmm I should take some pictures noow that I think of it. I was a bit confused myself.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

Last edited by Goofyfoot2001; 10-09-2013 at 07:51 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 AM

Petrol does not mean gas, petrol is petrol and is the short form of petroleum spirit. Gas may mean many things, one of which may be gasoline (your quaint and endearing term for petroleum spirit). Please do not take this English lesson too seriously! Lol.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
Petrol does not mean gas, petrol is petrol and is the short form of petroleum spirit. Gas may mean many things, one of which may be gasoline (your quaint and endearing term for petroleum spirit). Please do not take this English lesson too seriously! Lol.
I enjoy these impromptu English lessons Gibbo. If you want to tear some of these people up use the word "fag' in a sentence ,as it is used across the pond

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
I enjoy these impromptu English lessons Gibbo. If you want to tear some of these people up use the word "fag' in a sentence ,as it is used across the pond
Yesterday was 11 MONTHS since my last FAG!!!!!

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 04:23 AM

I tried one when I was 11 and it made me sick !

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. I guess it was routed wrong from the get go with the emissions on. They had both nipples teed into one tube and connected to the tap. It's no wonder I couldn't figure out what to cap off!!

Just to make sure I've got it right, there should be only one vacuum tube from the carb to the tap correct? Thanks for your help.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pic. It helped me figure out what was wrong (I think). Knew the people I bought it from weren't the brightest bulbs on the tree but somehow they had it running!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement