Interesting teardown - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Interesting teardown

So I started stripping down my 02 since I want a fresh start.
Changed the oil, new AGM battery, and Coolant and brake fluids. About to get new K&N air filter but thinking about the pod filter route. I guess the term on here is Ear Removals.
Do I have to do it along with the marble or plate to cover up and strip the erg valves as well?
Also, what about the exhaust? I figure if I get more air, do I need to gut the exhaust or remove the cat as well to make it breath better and less back pressure? When it ran, it was popping and backfiring a bit.

Excited to get this bike on the road next season!

Last edited by vinhtvu2; 10-01-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 AM

You would at least need to marble the air hoses, since they have no place to hook up after the airbox is removed. Coasters are best since that allows you to remove all those hoses completely.

Opening up the exhaust isn't mandatory with the earshave, I still have the stock pipes on mine and I didn't have to rejet after the shave.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhtvu2 View Post
So I started stripping down my 02 since I want a fresh start.
Changed the oil, new AGM battery, and fresh plugs. About to get new K&N air filter but thinking about the pod filter route. I guess the term on here is Ear Removals.
Do I have to do it along with the marble or plate to cover up and strip the erg valves as well?
Also, what about the exhaust? I figure if I get more air, do I need to gut the exhaust or remove the cat as well to make it breath better and less back pressure? When it ran, it was popping and backfiring a bit.

Excited to get this bike on the road next season!
After looking at the reed valve piece I think you could drill a few holes and screw or bolt a flat one inch or so piece of metal over the reed valve flap and put the intake back over it. I put my coasters under the intake

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

So I took a little more stuff off, the tank and what not.

It look like I can just drop the catalylic converter, and run a short straight pipe to connect the exhaust to the headers?
Seems possible. Maybe even gut out the exhaust to make it more flowing? I like the look of the stock exhaust over the V&H... plus saving $200 wouldn't be bad.

This is the most troubling thing to me... it look like that yellow wire snapped off the connector that's on top of the pump for the coolant? Is that where it go? I guess I should just re-solder it back on there?

Also the bike came with these grips. The throttle one is broken, and needs replacement. How does it come off? I'm having trouble getting it off. Should I just order new grips and cut these off?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Hmm... Somehow my replies are not showing up.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 04:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
After looking at the reed valve piece I think you could drill a few holes and screw or bolt a flat one inch or so piece of metal over the reed valve flap and put the intake back over it. I put my coasters under the intake
reed valves under the intake?? you got me confused now.....lol

Just premove the cover and leave the reed valve in place....use the cover as a stencil and cut your own covers from flat aluminum stock 1/8" and use the same bolts to bolt them down on TOP of the reed valves.

OR....just cover the outlet nipple on the cover piece with a cap.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I decided against the ear removal. It's prime riding weather and the Vulcan is so much fun to ride so far.
Only issues I have is a lot of backfire on deceleration and very hard to start when it's every now and then when it's warm. I suspect the plugs... Ordered K&N air filter and new plugs. Hopefully that'll make it more reliable.
It's embarrassing to stop to get gas and stay 5 to 10 minutes trying to start it, and it's backfiring really loud instead of starting.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Guess I'll look for two marbles and plug the air lines and see if that help with the backfires.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Banned

Yup, two marbles and backfiring when starting is probably a marginal battery.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 PM

Try starting it without opening the throttle. Mine backfires and doesn't start if I open the throttle on hot starts.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement