Vulcan will not stay running. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Nox

Vulcan will not stay running.

I have a 1999 Vulcan 750 with no modifications. I had an issue about a month ago when starting the bike to come home from work.

The bike cranked fine and ran with choke on for about 1 minute. I let the choke off and the bike was fine. I put the kick stand up, put it into gear and the bike died. After this I could not get the bike to run. I left it over night, tried it again and it cranked and I managed to get it home. The bike did smoke (white smoke) out both tail pipes about half way home.

I parked the bike when I got home and let it sit. Every since this the bike will not start without full choke, it will jump up near 3000rpms (which is normal) for about 30 seconds, then drop to 1100rpms (which is normal for no choke). If I remove the choke the bike drops below 1100rpms and will die if throttle is not applied. I have tried this with the petcock in both open and reserve.

If throttle is applied the bike will run for about 3 minutes and then start to bog down and die. I have removed the fuel petcock and the carbs and cleaned them (disassembled them, soaked the jets over night, sprayed parts with carb cleaner). All parts were in good shape and seals were in good shape, everything was scrubbed, sprayed and put back together after drying. I put them back on and have not seen any improvement.

Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 AM

Hi sorry to hear of your troubles. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head. Is it firing on both cylinders ? Do you have nice fat blue sparks? I have found the carbs on these bikes very fussy, they seem to flood or stick with ease ! Also there are a lot of very small drillings and passages, particularly in the progressive phase just past tick over. I know you have stripped and cleaned them, but they do need to be surgically clean.

One can never have too many alternative forms of transport.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Nox

I will have to pull them back off and soak them in cleaner over night and see if that works better.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 AM

Still getting the white smoke or was that a one time thing?
Have you checked the coolant level?
Make sure the oil in the sight glass doesn't appear milky or frothy.
If the coolant level is steady and the oil looks ok, you may be able to rule out a (IMO) worst case scenario. White smoke sometimes indicates you are trying to burn coolant - not good. Get that out of the way first!
Good luck.

I don't wanna pickle......
I just wanna ride my motorsickle.
Arlo Guthrie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g266Uwp6ZnI
'98 VN750
purchased Nov 2012 w/ <8,000mi
previous plate (last time on the road legally) 2002 therefore.......
carb rebuild
AGM & Iridiums
Coastered
R/R relocation
Kury voltmeter
Splines lubed & in excellent shape
Aug 2013 - new Shinko 230 TM oversized front & rear
Finally got'er shaved
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 02:20 PM

When it comes to carb cleaning I take all the jets out, the slow running mixture screw with it's spring, washer and o-ring, the coasting enrichening diaphragm,spring and o-ring, the slide, diaphragm, spring and needle, the float and float needle, the choke enrichening plunger assembly. Then I squirt cleaner through every hole and passage way and observe it flowing out of the various holes. I do the same with the jets and and jet tubes. Then I blow it all dry with air. Then I inspect it all with a X4 magnification eye glass. Then I put them back together and test them with fuel to check the float levels are correct and that they fill and do not show any tendency to flood. Then I re-fit them, warm the bike up, tune the mixture screws and balance them. Alright, I am retired and have time for all this, and I'm blessed with the skill and experience to do it, and I have other bikes to ride. But, in my experience it's the only way to know your carb is really clean and working as it should.

One can never have too many alternative forms of transport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement