Weird Idle - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Weird Idle

So once the bike warms up and it's idling I've noticed that it jumps up to about 1600 to 1800 rpms for a short moment and then goes back down. Then it repeats it. I can give it a little gas while it's doing it and it'll go back down to 1100-1200. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? It's not the routing of the throttle cables or the choke cable, I already checked those. I think it might be something in the carbs, but not quite sure yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaracho View Post
So once the bike warms up and it's idling I've noticed that it jumps up to about 1600 to 1800 rpms for a short moment and then goes back down. Then it repeats it. I can give it a little gas while it's doing it and it'll go back down to 1100-1200. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? It's not the routing of the throttle cables or the choke cable, I already checked those. I think it might be something in the carbs, but not quite sure yet.
When your carbs are out of sync you can get a fluctuating idle like that. Have you sync'd 'em yet? If not, I can search for some posts here about how to make a manometer for pennies (well, okay, a couple of dollars) and then how to actually sync your carbs. Not a difficult job at all; it just sounds daunting. And the results are immediate!

C
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
you mentioned "when the bike warms up". do you have your choke engaged at that point, or is it past the choke need?
asking since mine will climb to about 2K rpm and drop back down to 1.5k once i reduce the choke step by step.

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Choke is definitely off. I only use it minimally when warming up the bike. The sync suggestion is a good one, i'm going to go pick up my vaccum gauge and check it out. I'll let you guys know the result.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 PM

Rising idle can also be a vacuum leak. The lean (more air) condition will raise the idle some and be inconsistant. Just another thing to check, pinholes in vacuum lines, leaking or cracked manifolds (rubber carb mounts where carb joins the intake).

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, I've figured it out I believe. I changed the exhaust gaskets and while I was working on that I also made sure the vacuum lines were sealed/plugged right. I went for a ride and when I got back the idle was now at 1800 and not fluctuating any more. Turned the idle down to 1100 and there is where it stayed. Went out and rode some more and it's still working well.

Old exhaust gaskets were very thin and old, I replaced those with the screaming eagle kit I bought from the Harley shop down the street for 7 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement