SeaFoam Believer - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up SeaFoam Believer

I am now a Sea Foam Believer thanks to my experience. Also big thanks to all the info on this site to persuade me into trying Sea Foam to fix the problem with minimal work. Below is my story/experience.

So I purchased the my 2003 VN750 about a month ago and it ran great. I did all the checkouts and started riding it around. I had put about 300 miles on it, then all of the sudden one day after a lunch break on a cruise the bike wouldn't idle. Any time the revs dropped below about 2000 RPM the bike would sputter and slowly die. Also it didn't seem to be running quite right. Luckily I was pretty close to home.

Did another R/R check, everything was good. It wasn't a "hot start" issue either since it did the same thing the next day. After some research on this site and some of my general knowledge I figured it could be carb junk. I also remembered the guy I bought it from said he didn't ride it much the past several months due to an injury.

Wanting to avoid the pain of pulling the tank to access the carbs, I purchased some fuel line to drain the bowl on each of the carbs (I could access those easily). Then i dumped about 1/2 can of Sea Foam into the tank.

After about 1 min of using the throttle to keep the bike running, it began idling on it's own and running smoothly. The Sea Foam WORKED! Running heavy Sea Foam fuel through the carbs cleaned them out!

I've since put another 100 miles on the bike just to be sure. No issues. I'm now a big believer in Sea Foam and will be adding a touch of it to every tank.

Sorry for the long post but I was very pleased that Sea Foam easily solved the problem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 02:54 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Wonderful stuff...it is.
WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 04:05 PM

I bet draining the bowls had a lot to do with it, I love seafoam too though, I like to put it in the vac line on the truck!

Kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Good point. I didn't even think about how draining the bowls could have gotten rid of some of the gunk.

Just glad it was an easy and quick fix! Unlike everything else I work on haha
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Seafoam is great stuff, but expensive. Unfortunately there is now a new problem that Seafoam won't fix. Seafoam is designed to dissolve old gas residue, and does it very well. But today's gas is 10% moonshine, which is extremely corrosive. It is also heavier than gas. So the gas evaporates out of the carbs, leaving the alcohol in the bottom. It corrodes aluminum and brass, and rusts steel. I have seen carbs completely destroyed by it. I don't ride my bikes much in the summer, 115 degrees is just to hot for it to be any fun. I drain the carbs, and fill them with WD-40 to prevent corrosion. I never let mine sit for over a week without draining the carbs. You can put WD-40 in them through the carb float bowl vent hose, without having to disconnect anything.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jerry!

I also limit my riding during the 100+ days and sometimes don't ride for a week or two. I'll definitely start doing your WD-40 trick to avoid future problems.

The problem I had happened after not riding for about a week and a half so it could have been due to the problem of newer fuels like you mentioned.

Thanks guys!
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Seafoam is one of the best products that I found out there in a long time. I add a little to my lawn mower about every month or so after washing out the sponge air filter and it idles just right with plenty of power. I have been adding it to my wood chipper and snow blower also to keep them running smoother. I throw in a some with every two or three fill ups on the cycle and never have a problem. Great stuff but as mentioned before it is getting a little up in price. Walmart has it for just under $9.00 and Lowe's carries it for just under $8.00. All depends which store I am at when I think about stocking up.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 06:51 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
Seafoam is one of the best products that I found out there in a long time. I add a little to my lawn mower about every month or so after washing out the sponge air filter and it idles just right with plenty of power. I have been adding it to my wood chipper and snow blower also to keep them running smoother. I throw in a some with every two or three fill ups on the cycle and never have a problem. Great stuff but as mentioned before it is getting a little up in price. Walmart has it for just under $9.00 and Lowe's carries it for just under $8.00. All depends which store I am at when I think about stocking up.
I have an installed 5.5Kw Onan Generator which is fueled via a line from my 75 gallon fuel tank in my Motor Home.
Question: If I filled a funnel with an attached fuel line, directly fed the generator Seafoam....would the Onan run ?
tia
WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 12:29 AM

I think it would run on Seafoam. When we do the cleaning through the vacuum hose or even down through the throttle body (on a car), it's necessary to 'overdose' with the Seafoam to stall the engine. That way you have Seafoam-rich mix sitting in the combustion chambers, while it's also hot. If you just kept trickling it in, the engine would run and burn it all up. However, the engine is also getting gas at the same time, so you might need to start it on gas, then feed the Seafoam.

If you're wanting to clean carbon out of the top end, it's best to treat it so it stalls and then you have some Seafoam soaking in there for a while, then do the smoke show.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:09 AM

I've been chasing a rev limiting fuel problem, it would run up to about 5500 rpm and level off like hitting a rev limiter. First treatment with Seafoam cleared it up just for that tankful, then it was back. Only took about ten miles to clear it up that time.

So today I had about 1.5 gal in the tank and I measured out enough Seafoam for a tankful. Spilled a good bit trying to pour out of the measuring cup, so I just took the bottle and tried to dump about an ounce that way. I may have ended up with 4-5 ounces of Seafoam in 1 to 1.5 gallons of gas. The directions call for 1oz per gallon.

Engine already warm, with the 1.5 gal gas rich on Seafoam, I turn the petcock off and started her up. Held it at fast idle until it started to falter, running out of gas, then I started opening the throttle. I eventually pulled the choke full on too, and ended with it stalling at full throttle and about 6500 rpm.

Next, I opened the petcock and started the engine with the SF rich gas and let the carbs fill up. Squall line of storms rolled through and the ride was postponed about 4 hours, so it sat with the rich mix in the carbs for that period.

Finally got to take off, I filled up with gas and about ten miles out I opened her up. She kept right on revving, like she's supposed to. Great! I thought. Another ten miles and it was back to rev limiting. However, near the end of the 40 mile ride, the problem had cleared up again and I saw 10-11,000 rpm. Full power is also restored, I hadn't really noticed how far it was down on power until it all came roaring back, I just hadn't been cranking on it so it seemed fine for just putting around and quick jets light to light, short shifting.

It acts like it's cured, time will tell, but just a little riding with Seafoam did the trick, twice now. There must be a good bit of hard gunk in those carbs that's dissolving and coming out of there a little at a time. When it's Seafoamed, it can digest the crap, plain gas and it clogs again. Need to pull those carbs, dangit.

It was willing to run as hard as I asked it to when I came back home, have to see what it does next time out, or on the next tank of gas. I definitely don't need to see 11000 rpm, that's just a tool i used to see if it would bog at all. It probably would have pegged the tach if I let it.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement