Old bike, dirty box - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Old bike, dirty box

So, I'm working on pulling everything apart (fully electrical reboot). The air box on this bike is VERY dirty from not having ears for a couple of years. Should I just cut the box out, and convert to pods? Seems like a logical time for a shave...

I would hate to get everything put together down the road and have a bunch of dirt running through clean carbs...

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:35 PM

Great time to yank that box out, since you already have the harness off according to another post you made. See the link in my signature, no cutting to pull the box in one piece.

No ears? Then you don't need the box, but you definitely need filters no matter which way you go. I used the Uni PK92 pods, foam filter media, and at $25-35 they are less than half the cost of K&N, which are gauze.

artstoy also has a pair K&N stock replacements (use with stock ears) for $25. In the Sell/Swap section.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

Still debating which way I want to go. In a lot of ways, I want to do the shave because of the open space that it frees up in the frame...more of a custom look. On the flipside...the ears are a bit iconic of the bike's heritage...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 12:08 AM

I don't miss them. Suppose I could make storage boxes out of them or stick a driving light in the ends.

Heritage? Iconic? Ahh, I'm not sure about that, first I've heard anyone say that. I know some have said they like the look. Yet others say it's an attempt to look like a Harley.

But you free up so much space by losing them, and if you include the coasters, which you should, there's whole lot less plastic and rubber laying on top of the engine. So less heat retention, less clutter, more room for carb work etc. Much, much easier to R&R the carbs too.

I didn't get to ride much at all before I did all the work to mine, but the increase in throttle response and overall power is said to be quite noticeable.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Garage
A Vulcan is supposed to have EARS....lol

How did you have the aribox and no filter housings? Where was the intake to the carbs connected?
Hopefully it wasn't just sucking unfiltered air into the carbs.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 09:12 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

I think you may have some of your item names mixed up. Before you make your final decision on removing the boxes and changing your air intake I suggest that you check into any and all additional work that may be required to keep the bike running properly (carb work including possible jet changes, etc.) Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 10:04 AM
R/R = Relocated Redneck

Title sounds kinda like my ex wife...

You will most likely spend as much (or more) for the ears, connecting tubes and filters as you would to complete the earshave. I used the uni pk92's too, $35 for the pair. You can either make or buy coasters and do away with all of the emissions crap at the same time. You will also need a crankcase vent filter and will have to relocate the carb vent to a neutral air area.

IMO definitely worth it. I got better throttle response, runs better and it's way easier to work under the hood.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Mods
Voltmeter/clock/temperature gauge
HD Electra Glide Fairing
Earshave/Coastered/CA emissions - gone...
R/R relocated
Nightster seat
Tombstone taillight
Drag specialties turn signals relocated
Sportster progressive shocks... Dropped rear 1 1/2"
Progressive Fork Springs dropped front 1"
NGK plug wires and iridium plugs
Coil Relay Mod
Paint
ACCT to MCCT
Honda Rebel luggage rack
VN800 Handlebars & controls
Screamin Eagle mufflers
F&S Engine Guard & Kury highway pegs
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

No, not confused. Picked this bike up a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't run in a couple of years...but everything is free in the motor, starter turns over when I put a jumper on the motor post. I'm sure the ears probably walked off as things do over time. I will probably do the shave to get rid of all the extra hoses, etc. Getting rid of the box will free up lots of room to hide new electrical....and give me less hoses to replace.

Overall, it's a pretty decent bike...just needs a lot of love. I have knocked more mud dobber nests off of it than I care to think about!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Update: airbox is out! Amazing how much room that opened up. Now to get the carbs off. The seem to be a little stubborn. I don really want to separate them...but may not have a choice. Suggestions?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 AM

You should leave the front rubber carb connector on the head, and leave the rear carb rubber connector on the carb. Thy both come off as one, sort of up and to the right (as viewed from the riding position). Yes they are a right pain to get off and on, but it gets easier each time. The rubber connectors are not inter-changable, and they each have a bit of of a rubber casting which aligns with a casting on the head (at the 12 oclock mark). These carbs have to be absolutely clean, they are very prone to flooding which can fill the cylinder and dilute the engine oil.

One can never have too many alternative forms of transport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement