Did the tuxedo stator mod, Now RPM's drop when giving gas? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Did the tuxedo stator mod, Now RPM's drop when giving gas?

Hello I am new here. I bought a VN750 from a guy a couple of weeks ago, turns out the stator was bad. So I found the stator mod by tuxedoseven. I made the plate. I finished it up. One of the timing wires got cut in the process, so I spliced and fixed it. Went for a ride no problems. I got home turned the bike off. Turned it back on. No it idles low around 800RPM and as soon as I give it gas it dies. Any ideas? I am waiting till tomorrow to take her apart again.

Thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Sounds like a carb problem. Did you clean the tank and carbs when you got the bike or just deal with the stator?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

I believe the guy I bought the bike from is on this site. And he said he cleaned the carbs and the gas tanks is spotless rust free and clean as all hell. I did noticed the gas is leaking from the petcock a small piece of the gasket inside the petcock broke so I fixed that and it must has stopped working. Its pretty small gas leak. Could this be causing it to die when giving a little gas?

Thank you for your reply!

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I don't know why it is not running right (sounds like a carb problem to me as well) but it sounds like you did the mod without removing the cover first. If so you now have pieces of metal floating around inside your engine getting into everything. I think the mod is a good idea, but you need to pull the engine and remove the stator cover, and get it away from the bike before doing any cutting or grinding on it. Rule number one on doing any engine work is to make absolutely sure no foreign material gets inside the engine. I go to extremes on this.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
I don't know why it is not running right (sounds like a carb problem to me as well) but it sounds like you did the mod without removing the cover first. If so you now have pieces of metal floating around inside your engine getting into everything. I think the mod is a good idea, but you need to pull the engine and remove the stator cover, and get it away from the bike before doing any cutting or grinding on it. Rule number one on doing any engine work is to make absolutely sure no foreign material gets inside the engine. I go to extremes on this.
I tried my best to clean everything. I ran a few quarts of oil through the case to get it all clean. And wiped everything down and vacuumed it. Had rags inside the holes when cutting along with a vacuum running.
post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:12 AM

More info

Agreed, it sounds like a carb problem, but it could still be the petcock too.
More info - did you fix the petcock gas leak before the good ride?
How far did you ride the bike when it was runnin' good? i.e. more than a coupla blocks?
Was the broken gasket between the tank and petcock or inside the petcock itself?
What did you use to fix it?
Is the vacuum line secure on the carb and the petcock?
Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, but we don't know that much about you or your abilities. If we can rule out the petcock, you might be wrestling those carbs off . If it comes to that - is she ear shaved?

Welcome BTW.
You should introduce yourself in the Newbie check-in & give us a little background.

I don't wanna pickle......
I just wanna ride my motorsickle.
Arlo Guthrie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g266Uwp6ZnI
'98 VN750
purchased Nov 2012 w/ <8,000mi
previous plate (last time on the road legally) 2002 therefore.......
carb rebuild
AGM & Iridiums
Coastered
R/R relocation
Kury voltmeter
Splines lubed & in excellent shape
Aug 2013 - new Shinko 230 TM oversized front & rear
Finally got'er shaved

Last edited by nopickles98; 08-25-2013 at 10:17 AM.
post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

did you fix the petcock gas leak before the good ride?
- I fixed the petcock using a gasket maker and fixing the spot where it was leaking. It worked fine for a month with no leaks. But then the bike say for a few weeks while I did the Tuxedo mod.

How far did you ride the bike when it was runnin' good? i.e. more than a coupla blocks?
- Not really sure. My brother in law wanted to go he has a Kawi ninja. We went down the road but took a wrong turn and ended up on the highway. We pretty much got lost. We were gone for 40 minutes or so.

Was the broken gasket between the tank and petcock or inside the petcock itself?
- Inside the petcock.

Is the vacuum line secure on the carb and the petcock?
- Yes it is.

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, but we don't know that much about you or your abilities. If we can rule out the petcock, you might be wrestling those carbs off . If it comes to that - is she ear shaved?
- Ear shaved? If it comes to cleaning the carbs I will probably just sell the bike. I bought this bike for $1450. And since then, the petcock broke, stator died, clutch is on its way out.

Welcome BTW.
You should introduce yourself in the Newbie check-in & give us a little background.
- Thank you very much. I will go introduce myself. And I forgot to mention the bike is a 86'
post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 11:19 AM

Ear Shave

Stock vn750s have oval boxes on both sides of the bike up front for the air filters. Many members get rid of those and put pod filters directly on the carbs. When she is ear shaved, it is much easier to remove and replace the carbs when cleaning is necessary. Cleaning the carbs is really not difficult. Roach's video is quite helpful. The toughest part is removing and installing if she's not shaved. You can find the carb cleaning video the same way you found the Tuxedo mod.
I'm thinking that if the gasket you are talking about was leaking and broken - that gasket is also a diaphragm that works with the carb vacuum and allows fuel to flow when the engine is turning. If the diaphragm has failed or is failing, that could be your problem. If you remove that vacuum line from the petcock to the carb and there is fuel in it - even a little bit, you will need to replace the diaphragm/gasket - easy. Hopefully that would do it.
Good luck.

I don't wanna pickle......
I just wanna ride my motorsickle.
Arlo Guthrie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g266Uwp6ZnI
'98 VN750
purchased Nov 2012 w/ <8,000mi
previous plate (last time on the road legally) 2002 therefore.......
carb rebuild
AGM & Iridiums
Coastered
R/R relocation
Kury voltmeter
Splines lubed & in excellent shape
Aug 2013 - new Shinko 230 TM oversized front & rear
Finally got'er shaved
post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
mine did the same thing when I changed the stator years ago, idled fine give it gas it would die, got to looking and I left one vacuum line off. hope yours is that easy.

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 AM

Sounds like what mine was doing a while back. Try draining the bowls and back blow through the drain. I hope this helps.

1994 VN750
Purchased March 2011 with 14,800 miles
Memphis Shades wind screen, saddle bags
Pulled the exhaust baffles
Marbled
Relocated the R/R
Manual ACCT's
AGM battery
Iridium plugs
NGK wires
TPE stator
Tuxedo mod