Filled up with gas, now running rough - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Filled up with gas, now running rough

So I went to a shell station down the street and filled up last night. Rode it home with no problems. This morning when I went to hop on and ride to work, it started up fine, switched off the choke once the rpms got to 4k, and then after about 10 seconds it died. Choked it again, this time it stayed around 1k rpms, switched off the choke anyways, and it would stall anytime I'd let out the clutch. After about 10 minutes, I was finally able to ride off, but I had to give it a lot more gas than usual to keep from stalling out after a stop, the ride was kind of rough, and it smelled like I was running a bit rich.

Does that sound like I got a bad tank of gas, or might there be a much bigger problem as the cause?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyj10 View Post
So I went to a shell station down the street and filled up last night. Rode it home with no problems. This morning when I went to hop on and ride to work, it started up fine, switched off the choke once the rpms got to 4k, and then after about 10 seconds it died. Choked it again, this time it stayed around 1k rpms, switched off the choke anyways, and it would stall anytime I'd let out the clutch. After about 10 minutes, I was finally able to ride off, but I had to give it a lot more gas than usual to keep from stalling out after a stop, the ride was kind of rough, and it smelled like I was running a bit rich.

Does that sound like I got a bad tank of gas, or might there be a much bigger problem as the cause?

first, try draining the bowls, get any water out that may be in there.

Next, try using reserve instead of on

good luck

kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 04:03 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

and back blow the carbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 04:22 PM

Garage
SEAFOAM!!! use it!!!

it won't hurt.....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 PM

I hear alot about this back blow thing.... where does the 'stuff' go when you back blow?

Kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Changed jets
Corbin Seat
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got it home. It was doing the same thing on startup. I switched the petcock to off to let it burn off what was in the carb, and things seemed to smooth out when I switched it back on. Rode it home, still smelled rich, idled kind of high, until I was almost home, and everything seemed normal again. It idled fine, it wasn't stalling, it didn't smell rich. When I parked it, I let it run with the petcock on off until the carb was empty. Now I can't get the thing to stay running. It won't start at all when the petcock is turned on, and it will start on reserve but it takes a few seconds of holding in the starter, and it won't stay running. Rich smell is back.

I'd also like to add, with the rich smell, I also get a little bit (not super noticeable) of white exhaust, if that helps.

Now all this talking of emptying bowls and blowback sounds like its above my skill level. I'm new to this all, and haven't really tried my hand at fixing bikes or cars before. Is that all easy stuff to do, or is this something I should have a professional do until I have the time to properly learn how to do all of this kind of stuff?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

Emptying the bowls and back blowing are things a trained monkey can do no pun intended but if that doesn't work and it does seem that this is definately a carb issue you can remove and clean the carbs yourself or you can pay out the ass to a shop if you find one that will actually do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 08:43 AM

Question

Try this one easy thing....

Find the vacuum line that runs from the left carb to the center petcock port, pull that line off the carb and see if there's fuel in the line at all. There should be no moisture at all. If there is fuel in that line, the diaphragm in the petcock is leaking.

Sounds like it's running rich and flooding instead of a contaminated fuel issue. Another cause of flooding could be a stuck float.

Which pipe had the white exhaust? Or both?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 AM

sure sounds like a stuck float now.....

kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Changed jets
Corbin Seat
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 AM

Garage
backblowing the carbs....requires you to remove the boots to the air intake end of the carb (or the filter pod if the "EARSHAVE" was done). drain the bowls and attatch a hose to the drain port.....blow air BACKWARDS through the carbs. Junk should come out the air intake ports of the carbs. clean what comes out and replace everything and let the bowls fill with fuel again. see how she runs.

The petcock is vacuum controlled (unless you have the PRIME position on it). fuel will not flow even in the ON position unless the engine is cranking (if everything works as it should). Fuel can get into the vacuum line if the petcock is faulty (as Spockster eluded to above )Cranking the engine puts vacuum on the petcock, but it takes a few seconds for the float bowls to fill with fuel. If a float is stuck in the carb, then the fuel will overfill the bowl and most likely spill over into the intake of the carb....and fuel could also end up in the crankcase oil.

Check your oil for a gas smell and make sure the level did not rise.

Other than tearing the carbs off and cleaning them:
drain the carbs with the petcock in the off position. Pour SEAFOAM into the carbs via the fuel inlet for each carb to fill them....let them sit overnight and soak.
then drain the carbs...do the backblow procedure and see if it helps......if not repeat.

If this doesn't get it running right, you will have to pull the carbs and clean them by taking them apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement