Slow return to idle, hard starting - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Slow return to idle, hard starting

Hello- I've had a real tough time getting the bike going this year. Ran Stabil & gas in it last fall, and this spring it did not start easy or idle correctly. I have fiddled with the idle adjustment screw and it seems to idle a little better (still hard to start), but when I rev the engine, there is a distinct delay in returning back to idle. The cables do not appear to be sticking. Any hints on what this might be?
I have Seafoam in the tank now, and ran the engine some to get it in the carbs. We'll see if that helps.
Thanks.

2004 w/ new maint free battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 11:31 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Good Question.
Usually the only thing that will slow the return is the cables.
Will it go down if you twist the throttle back?

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 08:46 AM

When I put my engine back in after a stator replacement, I had a problem with the throttle not returning. I checked the cable path and adjusted the tension on the cables. Once the tension was adjusted the throttle returned properly. Loosen the locking nuts at the throttle end and take the slack out of both the cables and see if that takes care of it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Exact same thing for me, played around with the two locknuts on either side and got it to work correctly.

As long as you get full throttle travel and it returns to idle normally, you are all set.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 04:47 PM

I'm betting you have some varnish gumming up your carbs. Let's see how the seafoam works before we start adjusting anything like cables. If your floats are stuck, you will have problems until the seafoam gets time to work. If you had pulled the carbs and reinstalled them, I might be thinking cables, but since you are just getting going after winter, and you used stabil, I'm going with gummed up carbs...

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 05:06 PM

Same problem

I have the same problem with my 2004 VN750. I rode it twice this year and then I starded having the same problem. Last year I ran Stabil in it and made sure I rode it enough to get it in the carbs. I took it out first part of this week and it was doing the same thing. I put some seafoam in the gas and ran it at idle for about 15 minutes. Wednesday I took it out on the hiway and RAN it some. It definitly seemed to be doing better. I'll do that some more and see if I can get a little more improvement. Right now, it seems to me to be varnish in the carbs. I'll keep an eye on the problem. Good luck with your situation.

Pat
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 05:14 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but a buddy of mine here local has a shadow 1100 that he hit a deer with about a year ago. Didn't hurt it too bad, but it has sat in his barn since. Last weekend he went and renewed the tags and had it inspected then rode to my house. He said it was running rough as a cob and was talking about pulling the carbs. You know me. I walked over with my can of seafoam and put about 1/3 can in his tank. We started it up and let it run a few minutes and shut it off. He was helping me put my dynas on. About two hours later he headed home. Talked to him yesterday and he said the bike is running better than it ever has since he bought it. He was at Walmart looking for seafoam when he called me. He's wanting to put it in every vehicle and yard tool he owns. Just one more miracle from seafoam.

By the way, I forgot to mention that he said it was running so much better just from my house to his that he was in shock. He said the farther he went, the better it ran.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 10:42 AM

My bike was hard starting, and some OEM plugs from an auto parts store changed all that. Get the NGK DP7EA-9

Easiest fix I have made in a long time. My car was about the same thing, it wanted new plug wires. Conclusion: don't overlook the simple stuff

Stone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement