carby issues/questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

carby issues/questions

so after my initial newbie post, I have a few questions from down under. The bike I have picked up for the missus is running rough up at the top end of the rev range. The bike has had an "ear shave". The pod filters are cheap crap looking ones , so I've ordered new K&N RC2340 for it but still want to know is there anything else I need to do regarding jetting/adjustment etc. I'm planning on doing a carb blowback as per the sticky on here. Cheers from Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Jack of all trades

After you clean them out check to see if the needles were shimmed. If not maybe look at adding a shim to each needle. That generally helps mid to top range throttle response. Also look at running some seafoam through them.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Banned

Carb vent must go to 'dead' air?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Removing the stock intake system requires rejetting the carbs. Maybe that wasn't done. Someone should know what size jets work best for your altitude. But I would go ahead and pull the carbs and clean them anyway, so you know they are clean.

I am still a staunch opponent of fuel injection on motorcycles, and I wouldn't want it, but it is beginning to make sense for those who do not take the time to maintain their carburetors. 83,000 miles and I have never had any carb problems. Only carb problems I've ever had were on bikes I bought used, and once cleaned up, they never caused any more problems.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Angell View Post
After you clean them out check to see if the needles were shimmed. If not maybe look at adding a shim to each needle. That generally helps mid to top range throttle response. Also look at running some seafoam through them.
Thanks for the info, is it ok to use washers as shims or are there specific parts I need to order ?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

My altitude down here in Australia is 62m above sea level. Can anyone throw some light on the correct jet sizes I should look at ?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Jack of all trades

Washers are fine as long as you have the same thickness on both sides.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Removing the stock intake system requires rejetting the carbs. Maybe that wasn't done. Someone should know what size jets work best for your altitude. But I would go ahead and pull the carbs and clean them anyway, so you know they are clean.

I am still a staunch opponent of fuel injection on motorcycles, and I wouldn't want it, but it is beginning to make sense for those who do not take the time to maintain their carburetors. 83,000 miles and I have never had any carb problems. Only carb problems I've ever had were on bikes I bought used, and once cleaned up, they never caused any more problems.
I did the ear shave and did not change jets. I plan on it but you can ride around just fine with the same jets. But anyhow I ordered #142 and #42 jets from jetsrus.com

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

Last edited by Goofyfoot2001; 08-22-2013 at 10:26 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Franksy, I did the earshave and have not changed jets, have never had the carbs off. I run at 600-900ft elevation, some day I'm going to have to pull the carbs just to see what's in there as far as jets or shims. I still have the stock exhaust and the intake system was all stock until I shaved.

*Edit: At least one other member said *he had to put the stock jets back in after *he re-jetted for the earshave. *He said they were way too rich with the larger jets.

I would suggest doing the earshave then evaluate if you need jets/shims or not.

Seafoam is good stuff, it only took ten miles to clear up a problem on mine which had persisted through four tanks of gas. I used 1 ounce per gallon of gas.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 08-22-2013 at 01:02 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post

Members gibbo and wmsonta have both said they had to put the stock jets back in after they re-jetted for the earshave.
I have not done the ear shave and will not. I do not mind the looks and that is the only reason I can see too ear shave. Besides I like the bottom/mid range too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement