HELP Probably somewhat simple - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

HELP Probably somewhat simple

Okay I really need some help on this I figured I would start a new thread cause I couldn't find exactly what I needed in the threads. I can get my bike to idle but cant adjust the idle up or down with the knob,also the bike wont rev and will die everytime I try to tho starts back up. It will only idle with the choke on and dies when I try to take off the choke. Is this something to do with crap stuck in the carbs or a fuel petcock issue, Im getting fuel out of both sides of the valve when its idling so i dont think it has to do with that. Any help would be appreciated thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:58 AM
R/R = Relocated Redneck

Do a search for backblow and follow that procedure. Sounds like you might have some junk in the fuel bowls.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Mods
Voltmeter/clock/temperature gauge
HD Electra Glide Fairing
Earshave/Coastered/CA emissions - gone...
R/R relocated
Nightster seat
Tombstone taillight
Drag specialties turn signals relocated
Sportster progressive shocks... Dropped rear 1 1/2"
Progressive Fork Springs dropped front 1"
NGK plug wires and iridium plugs
Coil Relay Mod
Paint
ACCT to MCCT
Honda Rebel luggage rack
VN800 Handlebars & controls
Screamin Eagle mufflers
F&S Engine Guard & Kury highway pegs
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Thats what Im leaning towards something stuck in the carbs. I tapped the top of the carbs and the bike sounded somewhat better idling but I still couldnt adjust it or rev it up. Should i go ahead and take them apart?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
start by back blowing the carbs. its real easy, and fixes problems about 90% of the time. also run seafoam in your gas to help break up any varnish and particles that would cause further problems.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Okay I did the blowback procedure and the bike ran well (tho roughly)for a while and I could get it to rev and adjust the idle up. It ran for awhile with seafoam and It cleaned out a bunch of stuff then it went right back to running like crap but would idle up when I tapped the side of the bowl.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

The issue seems to be the rear carb while I had it idling I could see the filter that runs to it filled with fuel while the other was flowing properly. Is there an easy way to take the float bowl apart to clean on the right side without taking it out or am I pretty much screwed into pulling it and cleaning it. Also the petcock wouldnt be at fault would it? because the fact its backing up in the filter and flows out both sides of the petcock while idling shows it working right?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 03:01 AM
Ndr

Maybe try back blowing it again since that seemed to help to break some of the crap loose and then let the bowls fill up again and immediately drain them. Might get lucky and this may let any crap stuck in the bowls to flow out.

Also, try pouring some seafoam straight into the carbs through the fuel lines and let it sit over night and then drain it out. Will help break up any further crud in there. I'd do this before considering to pull the carbs.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

How long have you had this bike? If you just got it, or if it has been sitting for some time with gas in it, the only right way to do it is to remove the carbs and clean them out good. It is not an easy job, but not as hard as some say, if you do it the right way. Even if you do get it running fairly well, there is still likely to be sediment in the float bowls that will plug it up again. Seafoam will not dissolve solid particles, like rust of corrosion, which are likely if ethanol gas was left in the carbs. Once the carbs are spotless, you should never have to remove them again if you properly maintain them.

You can check the petcock by removing one of the fuel lines, and cranking the engine over. If gas pours out, the petcock is ok.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah imma have to pull the carbs I did the ear shave so it should be fairly simple
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Are the float and needle assemblies suppose to move freely in the brass holder because one is stuck in there and the other isn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement