earshave and engine life - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

earshave and engine life

Just ordered the parts for the earshave. plan on going with the uni pods for filters and coastering. Now I'm starting to have second thoughts because I read somewhere that doing this will greatly reduce your engine life. I understand that a K&N filter could let in more dust but I am using foam filters. I also understand that if you increase performance you decrease engine life. Now assuming I am not driving like an @$$hole all the time and driving "normal," will engine life decrease that much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 AM
R/R = Relocated Redneck

I'm running the same setup and I'm out to cruise, not drag race. I personally don't see how it would shorten engine life. It's about maintaining it properly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Mods
Voltmeter/clock/temperature gauge
HD Electra Glide Fairing
Earshave/Coastered/CA emissions - gone...
R/R relocated
Nightster seat
Tombstone taillight
Drag specialties turn signals relocated
Sportster progressive shocks... Dropped rear 1 1/2"
Progressive Fork Springs dropped front 1"
NGK plug wires and iridium plugs
Coil Relay Mod
Paint
ACCT to MCCT
Honda Rebel luggage rack
VN800 Handlebars & controls
Screamin Eagle mufflers
F&S Engine Guard & Kury highway pegs
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 AM

I agree, if you maintain the filters, clean and oil regularly, there should be no effect on engine life if you don't give it a life of running 9000 rpm. Which is exactly what I started out doing when I put mine on the road. That's all settled and done, she's proven herself, so I'm just cruisin' now too.

The foam filters had been factory equipment on dirt bikes and ATVs for decades. Naturally, those machines would see the most extreme dirty air. The good part is, the pods on a VN are right out where you can see them every day, no air box to open. If you can flick the side of the foam and dust rolls off, you've waited too long to re-oil.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll probably end up doing it, just looking into it too far. I'm also going to try and use just one emgo filter for both the crank and carb breather hoses. The hardware store had a nice selection of 3/8" t fittings and other couplers for vacuum line made out of brass. Anyone see any issues with doing this? Both line are venting air correct?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:13 AM

Only problem I see is, a 3/8" tee will be too large for the carb vent hoses. And you won't need a tee on the crankcase vent.

If in doubt, just take a piece of the hoses with you. The carb vent is either 1/4" or 5/16", don't recall right now. Could even be 3/16" the way my memory goes.

For the crank vent, I picked one up at the auto parts store, slid a piece of fuel line inside the existing rubber elbow out of the crankcase, clamped it there and at the filter. Then mounted the filter on a bolt left over from the ear.

The carb vent on mine is zip-tied under the tank, to the frame. But two filters would give a visual balance.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 AM

I would advise against running a single filter to the carb vent and to the crankcase vent. The carbs need still air at the vent to function correctly, the crankcase vent may well upset the equilibrium at the carbs.

One can never have too many alternative forms of transport.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Here is an article I think you should read before making your decision

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Using a filter that is less efficient at filtering will result in more dirt getting into the engine, and the more dirt that gets into your engine, the faster it will wear out. You have to decide what is more important to you, a long engine life, or whatever you expect to get from the modification. Those are the facts. The decision is up to you. If you have a cheap used bike, and are not trying to get the most miles out of it, then you really have nothing to lose. I bought mine new, have taken care of it, and my number one priority is getting as many miles out of it as possible. I'm up to 83,000. No Vulcan 750 is worth a lot of money anymore, but resale value is only one way of looking at it. If I can get an extra 50,000 miles out of mine by taking care of it, that's worth a lot more to me that what the bike might be worth if I sold it, considering I paid for it a long time ago. And I like the "ears" Gives it character.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement