Dies in 1st Gear - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Dies in 1st Gear

Not sure if this is the correct forum but hoping someone can help. Everytime I am idling at a stop light in first gear my bike will just suddenly die. It runs fine if I stop and put it in neutral. But once I put it in gear and wait a few seconds it just dies. It accelerates and runs just fine when I'm moving.

Today I was out and every time I came to a stop light it would die. The constant restarting eventually drained my battery leaving me stranded. Luckily I was near an auto store which charged my battery enough to get it going again. On the way home everytime I came to a red light I had to keep the throttle going to ensure it wouldn't die again.

I have Seafoam in the tank and replaced the plugs and battery last month. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan16 View Post
Not sure if this is the correct forum but hoping someone can help. Everytime I am idling at a stop light in first gear my bike will just suddenly die. It runs fine if I stop and put it in neutral. But once I put it in gear and wait a few seconds it just dies. It accelerates and runs just fine when I'm moving.

Today I was out and every time I came to a stop light it would die. The constant restarting eventually drained my battery leaving me stranded. Luckily I was near an auto store which charged my battery enough to get it going again. On the way home everytime I came to a red light I had to keep the throttle going to ensure it wouldn't die again.

I have Seafoam in the tank and replaced the plugs and battery last month. Any suggestions?
does it lurch forward when putting it into first? That would be the sign of a too tight clutch cable.

kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Nope. Doesn't lurch forward when I put it in first.

While I was waiting for my battery to charge I called a local motorcycle shop and talked to a mechanic over the phone who thought maybe it was a flooded carb. He told me it would likely have to be replaced. Does this sound likely?

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:35 PM

It is weird that it runs ok in neutral, but not if you are in gear with the clutch pulled in.

This is a strange one. I would recommend changing the oil because it still sounds like the clutch is engauging the plates some how. What kind of bike is this just to confirm?

thank,s kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Check your side stand safety switch. Spray it with wd40 and work it in and out.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:34 PM

Garage
What RPM'S are showing on the tach at idle. Could be set to low. Folks will do that to try and get to Harley sound.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
What RPM'S are showing on the tach at idle. Could be set to low. Folks will do that to try and get to Harley sound.
The idle is set at 1100. When I put it in 1st gear it does drop slightly but I assume that is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Check your side stand safety switch. Spray it with wd40 and work it in and out.
I was reading through some of the forums and tried doing this last night but no change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
It is weird that it runs ok in neutral, but not if you are in gear with the clutch pulled in.

This is a strange one. I would recommend changing the oil because it still sounds like the clutch is engauging the plates some how. What kind of bike is this just to confirm?

thank,s kenny
I think we are on the same page. I too thought that and had the oil changed last week.

If I remember correctly this started happening about a month ago and seemed to only happen near the end of a long ride. I thought maybe the air/fuel mixture needed adjusted (it still had the factory covers over the screws) so I removed them and turned 'em out 2.5 turns. Seemed like it ran better (backfiring wasn't as bad when slowing down) but didn't fix the idling issue.

Not sure of the next step.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Old Truck Junkie

The clutch switch may give that problem also. But I am not really sure of that.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

thank,s kenny
Forgot to mention this is a '94 vn750.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 PM

Put it in first gear, then try to push it back with your feet. Is it hard to do so? If so, it's probably related to the clutch.

My bike did this the last time I hopped on it and it definitely seems like it has something to do with the clutch. I haven't completely fixed it yet, I just increased the idle RPMs a little bit for now.

Question for MERCURY (Hope you don't mind Vulcan16):

How does a tight cable cause this? Shouldn't it be a loose cable that would cause the clutch not to disengage enough, hence leaving some friction to slow the engine down? I'm really wondering about it, cause if a tight cable can cause it, that's probably my problem.

1985 VN700 unknown mileage (over 33K)

AGM Battery
Iridium spark plugs
NGK wires and caps
Relocated R/R
Marbled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement