Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Still Ailing

Okay all here we go AGIAN!!???

Quite a while ago I thought I started a thread about this and thought the problem was rectified BUT I guess not. I'll try to keep it short any help would be more than appreciated. I'm sorry but I couldn't find the original thread that I posted so here goes:

Since I joined the board I have been grappling with this issue and I am pretty much at my wits end.
I initially thought that I had a "water in the fuel lines problem" but I'm not so sure that's the problem now. In a nutshell here is the problem: When I am cruising along at above 65mph for any length of time ie. more than 2 minutes or so the bike starts to peter out. What I mean is that I'm cruising along happy as a clam about 62 mph or above and then the bike feels like it starts sputtering and losing power more and more. If I just hold the throttle in place sometimes it will sputter a little with the concurrent lunging and dip of power and then subside and run as normal. Most recently, yesterday, the same thing started to happen and I gave it more throttle and the power loss leveled out, but the engine sounded like it was popping or sputtering but deeper toned. So I held the throttle there and the first time it subsided and turned back to normal operating power and sound wise. The second time, as I was cruising along about 62-3mph it happened again but this time eventually puttered out and I had to stop. Upon several cranks of the starter and a few revs it did start but sounded still starved for fuel but eventually returned to normal. Arrrgghhhh I don't know what the deal is and I don't feel good about riding at any speed above 55mph because this keeps happening.

So far this is what I have attempted to do to remedy the situation:
1) A mechanic told me to drain the carbs due to the possibility of water collecting in them. Action)Drain the carbs. keep the tank almost always full and turn off the fuel when parked.

2)Problem still arises occasionally. Action)Keep draining the carbs fairly often. Result) Problem still arises

3)Fuel additive (HEET to be exact) regularly added when tank full or not and the problem still arises

4)Join this board find out about Sea Foam problem still arises

What I have assesed and what I feel is not an issue.
(I am not a well accomplished wrench but know my way around the toolbox)

1)The tank is in good condition, no rust, gunky stuff or other in the bottom from what I can tell.
2)When the carbs are drained there is nothing fishy about the fuel coming out of them. ie. no particles, discoloration etc.
3)Have tried several treatments of SeaFoam, not a full bottle treatment yet but close.
4)I have run the tank on reserve just to make sure there's no bad gas in the bottom of the tank.

Next plausible solution that I can gather is to run the tank almost totally dry of fuel except for the reserve, and add at least a whole can of SeaFoam, run it for a little bit to make sure the bulk of the SeaFoam is in the carbs and let it sit for a while. Then later on fill up the tank and keep my fingers crossed.

HELP PLEEEAAAASSSEEE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah,

I checked the breather line on the right side of the airbox and it looks okay.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Have you properly routed the carb vent line?

It should be cut to a 45 degree angle and put into the right side air filter in one of the slots towards the back. The 45 degree angle is important so that it can not bottom out and get plugged.

Sounds a lot like your problem.

Check it's current position and fix if not right.

Let us know.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jon

I'm pretty sure it's okay but I'll make the 45 degree cut. As to weather or not the vent line is routed properly I've never touched them but have traced the line visually as best I can and didn't see any kinks?

Thanks
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:44 PM

There also may be a crack in one of the vacuum lines below the T-connector where they connect to the carbs. I had a similar problem and the seemed to be the culprit. Especially if the power loss you are having is around 3k RPM.

Unfortunetly this is not an easy check with the carbs on if you still have the factory air intake. Surge tank blocks your view.

Based on what you have said so far I would suggest pulling the carbs and cleaning and checking them out. There are alot of little parts but as long as you take you time and watch what your doing a cleaning and inspection won't be hard.

The hardest part is actually geting the carbs off and back on the bike.

If you have a decent amount of fuel draining from the carbs and it looks clean I don't think it is a fuel supply problem.

Jamie B.
Ankeny IA
88 Vulcan 750 with 40K+ miles
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Your problem sounds like the typical fuel starvation that occurs when the vent line gets plugged and fuel bowls do not refil.

The line just goes from the "t" in the two carbs to the right hand air filter. No special way, just be sure it is not kinked along the way and does not bottom out on flat end of hose closing the opening.

If this is all good, let us know and we'll look elsewhere.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Roger that I'll check it tonight, make the 45 degree cut, and maybe take 'er out for a test run.

Thanks again
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 04:25 PM
"ya can't live forever"

If you are losing only one cylinder I am fairly certain you are having a coil problem. Double check your connections from the wires to the coil, make sure they are clean and tight. Unscrew the caps and inspect the wire where it slides on to the coil pin to insure that you are getting good contact there.
You may even want to cut a small bit off the end to be sure that contact is being made. After awhile it seems that the rubber insulation stretches and prohibits contact. Believe me I went nuts trying to figure out an identical problem and it turned out to be bad contact at the coil. Just my 2 cents.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:03 PM

I'm leaning toward a vacuum leak or a faulty petcock. If the vacuum line that triggers the petcock to open is leaking, then your petcock may not be opening up all the way and the lack of full fuel flow might be impacting your higher speed engine performance.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:30 PM

If the carbs check out OK, I'd take Artman's advice.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement