Still got mystery leak from gas cap. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Yahoo to DachWuff
Exclamation Still got mystery leak from gas cap.

I'm so confused... I've looked all over the cap area, i've removed the tank made sure all hoses were hooked up right, that nothing in the tank looked werid and it all looked good but i still get this bizare little red goo runoff from around my gas cap. It usualy happens with a full tank while out on rides, about every tenth stop or so there's another trail of fluid runing down the tank. So i figured okay i'm over filling it, no biggie less gas more stops, but it's still doing it with a nearly EMPTY tank. And i know i'm not sloshing it hard enough to get it that high, even standing up with bike cold and cap open i tried throwing the bike from side to side and nothing sloshed out, but go figure i come back 10mins later and here's that same trail like a slug crawled down my black paint.

I'm about ready to just find a tank on ebay and swap it out, but if it still happens i don't know what i'm gonna do.

Anybody else have this problem? Any idea what's causing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 PM

I had a similar problem. I had removed the gas cap and when i had put it back on I had lost the rubber o-rings that go between the cap and the tank where the screws go.

Once I replaced the o-rings the problem went away.

Jamie B.
Ankeny IA
88 Vulcan 750 with 40K+ miles
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Jamie, just out of curiosity - any idea what exactly was causing the red goo to develop? Presumably gasoline and...?

C

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieB View Post
I had a similar problem. I had removed the gas cap and when i had put it back on I had lost the rubber o-rings that go between the cap and the tank where the screws go.

Once I replaced the o-rings the problem went away.
Ya know what, out of all this i've never actually removed the cap, but now i'm thinking I'm going to check for O-rings.

See i'd love to just take this to the dealer and say FIX IT but turns out i bought it from the 3rd worst dealer in the area, they arent as bad as Golden Gate Cycles who will let you ride off with no licence or insurance on a brand new Hyabusa, these guys just allways screw up fixing bikes. They forget to install headlights, they forget oil, they forget... well you get the idea, they are prety forgeful.. Maybe they did something to my cap and forgot to install it, the same way they had my handlebars installed STRAIGHT UP! It was like superman until i got home and fixed that.

Thanks for the idea =9

But please, any ideas are still welcome, it's not fied yet, I'll help ya'll any way in return i can for advice or assitance.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:59 PM

When I was having the problem the it was just gas leaking out as far a I could tell. I have a black tank so a redish tint in the liquid wouldn't really show up.

Just a guess but the red goo could be loctite or some other stuff that the dealer or a previous owner put on the cap (either on the screws or somewhere else) hoping to seal the leak and instead the gas is disolving it and carrying it out with it.

Jamie B.
Ankeny IA
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Nah i got it new from the dealer so it's probably something from them. I got a black tank as well, well black with Candy Persimon er how ever you say that fruit. The only reason i knew it's red is i touched it with my glove, and then touched my white shirt with out realising. And then i see it on the napkins i cary with me to wipe it up.

So this weekend i'll pop my gas cap off (hope it's easy) And see if i can make it seal beter. (Crossing fingers, toes, legs, cough)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 03:17 PM

It eash to remove the cap. When you open it you will see two phillips head screws. That it. Cover the opening with tank with masking or duct tape to avoid anything getting in the tank (like on of the screws).

When you get the cap off you will see a groove around each hole were the screws go.

Since you saw that is was red when you wiped it on your shirt and napkins it is probably just gas. Gasoline has a redish tint.

Jamie B.
Ankeny IA
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 PM

The red is from the gas.
Mine leaks out of the lock and it leaves a reddish residue on the gas cap when it evaporates. I'm going to have to tear into it and see if there is a gasket or something in the lock mechanism somewhere.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

OKay so i pulled my cap off and guess what I found,
gasket,
o-rings
spongey-goopey-paint like gunk.

So the first two i expected to find, the third though was suprising. Around where the screw holes are and that one in the middle (vent?), all the paint had turned to goup, or so it looked. I poked it and what ya know three rings of paint chip off around the holes. A few choice words later, i gook an xacto, rounded off the chunks, removed the loose stuff, cleaned it up, tried to install the cap with a good seal.

Go out for a ride, fill the tank up (tried to do less than usual fill ti'l i can see it) And about a mile later what ya know my trails are still there! Thinner, and not as red but still had 3 trails of gas runing down the top of my tank right for the goods. Only a trickle so i went for a ride, parked, wiped, and now just confused.

Should i have put some sort of sealent down under the screws? I just cleaned the paint down to the primer, should this little hole be plugged? routed? Why is it here? So far i'm thinkig of just buying an aditional gasket, so i'll have two on there and permatexing these holes.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 04:07 PM

The middle is part of the presure relief system that helps keep the tank from building up too much pressue. There is a small channel in the cap the feeds into the hole between the screw. That hole is part of the tube that comes out of the bottom of the tank by the bolt. There should be a tube connected to that leading to the bottom of the bike.

That way if the gas expands too much it will leak out of the bottom of the tube onto the ground instead on the bike.

If the O-rings are in good shape they should have sealed up. When I replaced mine I got some from the local hardware store that were fatter. You might try that.

I don't think I even have the rubber plug in the middle anymore.

Unless something has changed you can't buy the large gasket that seals the fill hole. The Kaw stealers must not think we are smart enough to turn a couple of screws because they only sell the cap as one whole unit.

It you think that gasket if the problem it might be better to put a bead of silcone or something on it.

Jamie B.
Ankeny IA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement