Odd running issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Odd running issue

Hey all. I've been lurking around here and have gotten great information. I recently purchased a 98 with less than 6K on it. It ran ok when I got it, but it would surge at highway speeds. I pulled and cleaned the carbs, I didn't dig too far into them because they looked like new. Reassembled and ran it. Same issue, then I read about the vent line in the side pod, I refused to believe that was it but it worked.

Now the issue. This morning when leaving for work, I started the bike, it fought me a bit, but it started on 1 cyl and wouldn't idle. I rapped the throttle a couple times and got both cyl firing. it would idle perfect for 5-10 seconds and die. Not sputter out, but like I hit the kill switch. After repeating this a couple times, I figured I'd ride out and run the hell out of it. I hit second gear and it died. Fought like hell to get back home.

It fought me last week to start but once it did, it ran perfect. I just thought I choked it when it didnt need or want choke.

The bike is bone stock, previous owner ran up 6K quickly then left it in the garage for years, only starting it every couple months.

Any help would be great. I'm most sure I'll go home tonight, hit the button and it will run perfect. Maybe it just doesn't like mornings?

Thanks again, I'm off to search more forums

Stacey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfish460 View Post
Hey all. I've been lurking around here and have gotten great information. I recently purchased a 98 with less than 6K on it. It ran ok when I got it, but it would surge at highway speeds. I pulled and cleaned the carbs, I didn't dig too far into them because they looked like new. Reassembled and ran it. Same issue, then I read about the vent line in the side pod, I refused to believe that was it but it worked.

Now the issue. This morning when leaving for work, I started the bike, it fought me a bit, but it started on 1 cyl and wouldn't idle. I rapped the throttle a couple times and got both cyl firing. it would idle perfect for 5-10 seconds and die. Not sputter out, but like I hit the kill switch. After repeating this a couple times, I figured I'd ride out and run the hell out of it. I hit second gear and it died. Fought like hell to get back home.

It fought me last week to start but once it did, it ran perfect. I just thought I choked it when it didnt need or want choke.

The bike is bone stock, previous owner ran up 6K quickly then left it in the garage for years, only starting it every couple months.

Any help would be great. I'm most sure I'll go home tonight, hit the button and it will run perfect. Maybe it just doesn't like mornings?

Thanks again, I'm off to search more forums

Stacey
Seems you have more than one culprit/gremlin happening.

With the issues as stated, my first thought was intermittent Ignition Switch contacts.
....there is a thread or two on cleaning them.

....running on one cylinder, .....clean the contacts @ your Junction Box and Ignitor box....also clean contacts @ Ignition Coils.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 07-12-2013 at 10:27 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Ya know, that actually makes sense. The key was hard to insert and turn, so when I took it to a lock store to get extra keys cut, he had trouble cutting one that worked, so he lubed the lock real well. I wonder if that oil got into the contacts? I didn't see the dash lights flickering, but I wasn't really looking, and they're probably more than one circuit in the lock.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfish460 View Post
Ya know, that actually makes sense. The key was hard to insert and turn, so when I took it to a lock store to get extra keys cut, he had trouble cutting one that worked, so he lubed the lock real well. I wonder if that oil got into the contacts? I didn't see the dash lights flickering, but I wasn't really looking, and they're probably more than one circuit in the lock.
...exactly, but clean JB & Ignitor (CDI) Box connector contacts also (first).

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

if it was sitting for a period of time, even if it was 'started' occasionally, I would suspect electrical connections as well. clean contacts!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

I forgot, the other issue when purchased was the headlight flickered and shut off. That was caused by the relay on the back of the fuse block. I pulled the blue wire and moved it one slot and that worked.

All told I have about 200 miles down, so overall I'm thrilled with the power of the engine. I was worried because I've always had/have 3 and 4 cylinders that had excellent power, that 2 would be a pooch.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 04:57 PM

The Carbs

I would get a can of Sea Foam and run a strong mix through it. I have had the best results using Sea Foam. I started this riding season with a 99 that hadn't been run much fir a couple years, I have put two cans through it and it is running like new. As for being hard to start do you have the NKG plugs? A good battery and those plug and Sea Foam has always done it for me.

Ride Safe
Mcneuby
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

So here's the resolution. When I cleaned the carbs earlier, I had a hell of a time lining up the air boots. I kept having them pop off and the hose clamps were all bent up.

I cleaned the switch, plugs, and a few other things before I saw the boot off. Pulled the tank and ditched the clamps. Realigned the tubes and used a big zip tie to hold the boots on. Hit the start button and she fired and idled like new.

I did notice that there was a wiring mess under the tank right behind the front coil pack. I called the PO and he said there was mouse damage. He had the wiring fixed.

Please, please, as an electrical technician, please don't ever use butt splices. They fail and they're crap. You need to solder and shrink tube the joints.

That's my next challenge. But first I'm putting some miles on her. Thanks for e quick replies and all e suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement