Fuel leaking from gas cap at end of ride - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Fuel leaking from gas cap at end of ride

Hi everyone,

I spent part of my day trying to rectify my POOGS symptoms. I had already disassembled and cleaned all the various pieces in the POOGS thread a few weeks back and still had POOGS symptoms so today I tried a few more things.

- I made sure that I hadn't kinked the tank vent hose under the front lip of the seat, it wings freely within the frame and exits by the center stand. I had cleaned this out previously but wanted to make sure it wasn't kinked.

- I noticed a loose hose behind the right side air cleaner assembly so I stuck it back into the upper hose connection as detailed in the grea seried of photos in the following post: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31633

- No other hoses seemed out of place, kinked, etc. While I was outside with tools I replaced my plugs with NGK Iridium (not that it could be related, of course)

So I took it out for a spin ('94) to see how things worked, the bike seemed a lot livelier with the new plugs so I ran it a little harder than usual but no harder than I ever have, put about 30 miles on it just to see how everything was working. When I stopped and shut it down I noticed that I could smell gas. I thought it was odd, I hadn't played with mixture or anything, but then I looked down and saw that gas had sprayed out and down along the top of the tank toward the seat. It looked like it might have sprayed while I was riding but a) I didn't smell fuel during the ride and b) I didn't get any on me, I surely would have if it had been spraying "at speed".

I have about 100 miles on the bike since my POOGS cleaning a few weeks ago (it's been raining like crazy lately!) and there was no fuel leak evident until the ride today, I don't see how anything I did could have resulted in this but maybe one of the forum members has some ideas?

Thanks guys,

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
New-to-me extended backrest 5/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Replaced driveshaft coupler and final drive-- ignored the spline lube recommendation too long and got burned 8/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Ndr

I'm curious about this one as well. I recently dissembled and cleaned up my gas cap. After which I get some seepage coming out from around the gas cap onto the top of the tank. At first I thought it was just me overfilling the tank, but the same occurs when I have only half a tank. Only started happening after I reassembled the gas cap. I'm pretty sure I put it back together correctly.

My best guess at this point is that the 25 year old gasket in the cap is no longer sealing properly after being put back together.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM

Garage
nothing in the vent section of the cap would cause this to happen during normal riding. I am thinking the main gasket that seals the cap when locked down is either kinked or damaged. A litttle sloshing around during normal riding is dampened by the neck protuding down into the tank.
I am guessing you overfilled the tank, or the seal is badly damaged?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
nothing in the vent section of the cap would cause this to happen during normal riding. I am thinking the main gasket that seals the cap when locked down is either kinked or damaged. A litttle sloshing around during normal riding is dampened by the neck protuding down into the tank.
I am guessing you overfilled the tank, or the seal is badly damaged?
Hey KC, thanks for the reply.

I do tend to fill right up to the bottom of the filler neck but by the time this happened yesterday I had 40 miles on the tank and when I opened the cap to have a look the fuel level was well below that. I wasn't scraping pegs or thrashing around so any sloshing ought to have been minimal.

For now I will file this under "things to watch". Thanks for the feedback.

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Replaced driveshaft coupler and final drive-- ignored the spline lube recommendation too long and got burned 8/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 PM

Garage
I agree...if it keeps happening...take note of it and what you were doing at the time.

BTW.....you are pretty close, PM me if you want to ride or meet up sometime.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Will do. How close are you? I sometimes don't know much more than an hour or two in advance that I will have time to ride so it's catch as catch can most of the time but after being down most of last season with a dry spline catastrophe I hope to ride more and wrench less this season.

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Garage
I am south of you in Northern NJ. I think you are only over the mountain from where Wolfie is. (Greenwood Lake area) I usually meet up with him and a few others in the area for weekend rides.

Check out the regional "Northeast" section for posted rides and the Quad State Riders Group (QSRG) postings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement