hard to start, getting frustrated !!!!!!!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

hard to start, getting frustrated !!!!!!!!!

okay, I bought this '96 and it had been sitting in an unheated garage for 3 mos., brought it home, battery was junk, so bought a mf, also while at it iridium plugs, seafoamed new gas in tank, and drained bowls, couple of "specks" in one, filled bowls with SF and let sit over night, drained bowls, nothing new, air filters clean, new gas, plugs removed on carbs, 2-2.5 turns out, tried to start and this thing will wear your thumb out pushing the start button !!! it will crank forever and not hit, choke on is worse !! no question bike is running RICH, after she finally starts, she'll hit every time at the touch of the button. i have talked to Ccspinner about it and most of the above that was done is due to his much appreciated advice and knowledge. I do not want to bug him constantly though, so i am seeking some more advice on this issue, I have and do wrench on cars for some years now, new to bikes, so i am learning as i go. Also I have a '93 sitting beside the '96 for my girlfriend and of course, hers runs perfect!!, i have also 'marbelized' both bikes and done the r/r relocate and greased the splines, thanks to all on here for the pointers, this hard to start thing is pissn me off though, possible float problem? I await and thank all for any suggestions and/or comments, gotta get this bike running right!! '96 has 6k on it, GF's '93 has 8k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Geek

Did you check the spark ? Turn it over at night in the dark to check for spark "Leaking" to ground.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

yes, the spark is fine, and once it starts, it has no more problems starting until it sits for several hours/overnight. thanks

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Once you get it going, how does it sound when it's running? By any chance, have you synchronized your carbs yet?

C
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Jack

My 86 is hard to start, and I have done everything, like you, to make it better. To make matters worse, after I ride it somewhere and let it set a few minutes it is even harder to start. I sometimes get a giant backfire when I get ready to leave the donut shop, or wherever. I was hoping that the newer bikes, like yours, had cured this problem. I guess not.

Mine seems to be fuel related. Now when I park it I lock the throttle full on. I find that helps get it going again. So, what is that telling me? Somehow it seems that fuel continues to enter the combustion chamber when the bike is stopped. How can that be? Is my petcock weeping?

Questions, questions, questions .... and no answers on my part.

Jack
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

no, i have not adjusted anyhting on the carbs , other than the air screw as stated, I have no experience with dual carb adjustments, on a car or bike.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymark66 View Post
okay, I bought this '96 and it had been sitting in an unheated garage for 3 mos., brought it home, battery was junk, so bought a mf, also while at it iridium plugs, seafoamed new gas in tank, and drained bowls, couple of "specks" in one, filled bowls with SF and let sit over night, drained bowls, nothing new, air filters clean, new gas, plugs removed on carbs, 2-2.5 turns out, tried to start and this thing will wear your thumb out pushing the start button !!! it will crank forever and not hit, choke on is worse !! no question bike is running RICH, after she finally starts, she'll hit every time at the touch of the button. i have talked to Ccspinner about it and most of the above that was done is due to his much appreciated advice and knowledge. I do not want to bug him constantly though, so i am seeking some more advice on this issue, I have and do wrench on cars for some years now, new to bikes, so i am learning as i go. Also I have a '93 sitting beside the '96 for my girlfriend and of course, hers runs perfect!!, i have also 'marbelized' both bikes and done the r/r relocate and greased the splines, thanks to all on here for the pointers, this hard to start thing is pissn me off though, possible float problem? I await and thank all for any suggestions and/or comments, gotta get this bike running right!! '96 has 6k on it, GF's '93 has 8k.
Usually they start when they're cold and hard to start when hot-But anyway, unfortunately I haven't had to take my carbs apart and the only thing I know is that the choke doesn't restrict the air, it enriches the fuel supply. Have you dug into the choke system? Starting fine when hot and refusing to start cold sounds like it isn't working. I'm sorry all I can do is toss bones to you.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks, ironman. i have not dug into the choke system at all, save to look at all linkages, they appear to be working properly, i too am puzzled by the fact that with the choke "on" it wont even begin to hit, choke off and finaly it will start, to turn choke on after getting it started only and always kill the engine?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 03:47 PM

Could be a problem with the plungers (which are operated by the choke). Are they lifting when you move the choke cable?

I think once the bike's started and you open the choke (let fuel in), it'll often kill the bike. But I couldn't tell ya why. I just know that my 92 will die if do that, so...

C
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 04:30 PM

Check your voltage on the red wires on each coil with bike key on, engine not running. Both should be above 12v. If they're lower than that, compare it to the voltage on your battery terminals again with key on and engine not running. If there is any difference, then even though you've seen spark, it's probably not strong enough to fire up a cold engine easily. Believe me, on a bike that's not new, this is worth checking out. It might just be your problem. I've bypassed my coil power wires using new wire and a relay. I didn't really need to do this mod, but just wanted to make sure it worked good on the vn750 before I recommended it on one. It's a standard procedure on old KZ's that I just brought with me from kzrider.com.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement