Installing bracket on carb starter plungers - Help! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Question Installing bracket on carb starter plungers - Help!

I decided that Orleans and I were moving too quickly, so I slowed it down. Pulled the radiator (whcih apparently had a previously unknown leak), pulled the carbs (which meant pulling everything I'd busted knuckles on), and broke down the carbs to make sure everything was in working order. All is mostly ok. However, in reinstalling the bracket on the starter plungers, I appear to have an extra plastic washer. And while the spring-loaded side (front carb) is operating smoothly, the rear carb plunger is cranky. Clymers wasn't much help.

Can anyone help me sort out the installation order on the rear? I've got the rod in the bracket, bracket's on the plunger, and the bracket is installed on teh carb via a phillips screw, metal washer, and then a small locking washer, and then there's the screw head. That's it. And then there's this little extra thing. Aside from extra parts, do the starter plungers differ between front and rear carbs, or are they interchangeable?

Thanks!!

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 10:28 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Is THIS pic (from Ron Ayers) any help?
I would think front & back are the same, just pointing in different directions.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Hyper - I went back and looked at that last night, but not after I had put everything back together. It doesn't look like I missed anything, and that the plungers should be operating normally. Just can't see where this extra plastic washer might've come from; or why the rear plunger is sticking. Always possible (in re: the washer) that the previous owner jury-rigged something, and did it wrong.

Hmmmmm....

C

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 04:55 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Wish I could be of more help here, Cindy.
I've had very limited experience with carbs. I gotta give ya credit for gettin' in there and tryin' to get them workin' right !
Two thumbs up and a toast for good luck to ya !!

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 05:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Thanks, Hyper - I went back and looked at that last night, but not after I had put everything back together. It doesn't look like I missed anything, and that the plungers should be operating normally. Just can't see where this extra plastic washer might've come from; or why the rear plunger is sticking. Always possible (in re: the washer) that the previous owner jury-rigged something, and did it wrong.

Hmmmmm....
Cindy -

The front and rear are interchangeable. If you go to RA and to carb parts, each item listed shows as quantity 2.

The shop manual states that if the starter plunger does not move easily and return when spring tension is applied, to replace the carbs. This leads me to believe that something would have to be bent, scored, or otherwise damaged that is not repairable, according to Kaw manual.

I would take the carbs off, and make sure that they operate normally sitting on your bench. If not, try switching the components from one carb to another and see if the problem follows you. Then one of the components is bad. If the problem stays with the original carb, then there is a problem in the carb housing, that would require a new housing.

If they work right on the bench and then you install the carbs and it s a problem, then look at your linkage as something is binding.

My money is on something binding externally.

Let us know.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Hmm..maybe I'm looking for a problem where there isn't one. The front carb - the spring-loaded one - works absolutely fine. And when I move that one, the rear starter plunger moves up and down ok. I was just yanking on the rear bracket and the plunger was coming up....holding there...and I'd have to manually put it down. But since the mechanism should (in my world of how-motorcycles-work theory) operate off the spring-loaded side, maybe it's ok?

Of course, I'm gonna say that because disassembly means putting that (&*@#%[email protected]#%+)* spring back on. (Yeah, it was that much fun!!)

C
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 07:29 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365
(Yeah, it was that much fun!!)
LOL Cindy, Glad you're enjoying what you're doin' !!

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement