Just spitting - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Just spitting

I have finally gotten back to my bike to try to start it. Put the tank on it just to find out I had old gas in there and had to drain it all out and start with fresh.

Finally after almost a year I try to start the bike. All it does is spits every once in a while. The plugs are sparking nicely but it would seem I am not getting gas to the cylinders.

I noticed the hose that is between the carbs (not the gas line) is not hooked up to anything. I don't really know if that will make a difference in it cranking. Not real sure if I am in the right part of the forum to get this answered as it may be another issue outside of the carbs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Really tired of watching the bikes out riding and my bike sitting in my shed.

Blessings!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Prowling Tiger

The hose between the carbs are the vent tubes. They come from both carbs and meet at a t connector. The single line then plugs into the back of the right ear box.

As for the sputtering, your petcock might be clogged prohibiting gas flow.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

The gas is flowing good. Just not seeming to be at the spark plugs. I don't have any of the air filter system hooked up. Just bare carbs. Not sure if that matters to crank. I know it is for running.

Blessings!
Richard

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Prowling Tiger

How is battery? Need +12 volts in order to fire. Might be running too rich not having filters on, too.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Prowling Tiger

It would also help us to know what mods, if any, have been done to your bike.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Good voltages, but wouldn't it be too lean because too much air is coming in. But I would think it would still fire just wouldn't run right. Still don't know. I hope I got the carbs cleaned enough. I may want to Shave the Ears but I want to hear the bike run before buying too much for the bike.

No mods by me, don't think any mods have been done to the bike.

Blessings!
Richard
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Banned

You verified spark, I would introduce fuel into the airstream. Some small amount of gas in a squirt or spray bottle. Starter fluid as a last resort.

I am of the impression you have never heard it run?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Carb cleaner works great.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Yes, no I have never heard it run. I only paid $35.00 for this bike so the loss isn't great but I feel sure it will run.

I pulled the carbs last year and disassembled them and cleaned them thoroughly. Because of my job I didn't have time to put them back on within 6 months of cleaning them. I tried putting the tank back on and cranking it with starting fluid but it back fired and caught fire. Had to yank the tank off quickly to prevent bigger fire and some of the gas may have gotten into the carbs at that point.

Of that same gas I had in my tank I put back on the bike yesterday and that is when I noticed the gas had gone bad. So I am thinking that I may have gunked my jets up again thus having to pull the carbs again and re-cleaned them. But i want to exhaust all possibilities before pulling those carbs as that was one of hardest jobs I have ever done and don't want to do it again.

The spark is good and there is now good gas in the tank but it just spits. It isn't every time, just every once in a while. I tested the compression by holding my hand over the back of the carb and it didn't seem very strong but it only has 13,000 miles on it and I am not thinking the cylinders/rings couldn't be bad at this stage unless the people before me messed up something.

When trying to cranking it you can hear the strain on the engine like it has compression. You can pull the spark plugs and crank it and it turns over smoothly, so there is a major difference.

Just shy of pulling those carbs again, I don't know what else to do.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard

Last edited by mrseedsower; 06-02-2013 at 08:24 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Use a car battery when trying to start it. This will give you more electical energy.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement