Carb air fuel mixture adjustment - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Carb air fuel mixture adjustment

Ok, my vn750 project has been keepin me busy. I was experiencing power loss and struggled to do 60 mph(I posted a couple days ago) and I took multiple replies advice, I since tested the thermostat, flushed the cooling system. Then tested the coils and checked the gap on my plugs. Today I tore apart my carbs and what do u know my pilot jests were clogged and I cleaned a bunch of crud outta the carbs. Now they need synchronized. I'm borrowing a synchronizer from a friend but my question is where are the adjusting screws? I keep reading that they are next to the vaccume petcocks but all I see is little white circles. I'm gonna guess they are behind those but I want to make sure before I mess it up. And if so how to get to them. Btw getting the carbs back on a Vulcan will make you give blood sweat tears and cost you a six pack lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

First off I doubt that you need to sync the carbs. There is a little shaft between the carbs with an adjustment nut to sync the carbs but with only 2 carbs you can use your hand to feel the exhaust coming out of the pipes. If the exhaust at a very light throttle (have a friend hold the rpms at about 1500 while you feel the exhaust pressure) feels about the same from both sides you should be fine.
With plugged pilot jets was your bike running super lean?

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Yea, it was running lean, and got worse and worse over the last month. Regardless I'd like to check to make sure they are in good sync. It's an 86 that i picked for 900 bucks last year. I've been slowly fixing it up and going over everything so it wouldn't hurt to check.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

As you wish but while fairly new to this site I still haven't heard of anybody's carbs needing to be resynced.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Banned

If in your shoes, I would download the repair and the owners manual. It is free. I did. It is comprehensive and very thorough.

Another advantage of this site. One of the older members has the links in his signature. Sorry, I do not remember who. Maybe DeMentia, no that's not right. Dunno.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 12:11 AM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdphill92 View Post
Ok, my vn750 project has been keepin me busy. I was experiencing power loss and struggled to do 60 mph(I posted a couple days ago) and I took multiple replies advice, I since tested the thermostat, flushed the cooling system. Then tested the coils and checked the gap on my plugs. Today I tore apart my carbs and what do u know my pilot jests were clogged and I cleaned a bunch of crud outta the carbs. Now they need synchronized. I'm borrowing a synchronizer from a friend but my question is where are the adjusting screws? I keep reading that they are next to the vaccume petcocks but all I see is little white circles. I'm gonna guess they are behind those but I want to make sure before I mess it up. And if so how to get to them. Btw getting the carbs back on a Vulcan will make you give blood sweat tears and cost you a six pack lol
If you want access to the A/F mixture screws, they are covered by a lead plug which needs to come off. The left side carb is right by the jug above / below the petcock vacuum line. The right side screw is also near the carb vacuum port.

What I did to remove the plugs was take a drill and a long wood screw and slowly drilled into the lead. It'll take some time as you don't want the screw to go too deep. Just enough to hold on to the plug and then you can pull out by hand.

The A/F screws do nothing more than set the mixture for the idle circuit. As for syncing, if I remember correctly when I bought my 2006 years back, the dealer told me to gauge the amount of pressure coming from exhaust pipes. If they felt unequal, then the carbs were out of sync. Uncertain which direction the bolt needs turning depending on which side is weaker.

Hopes this helps some.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 10:15 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Did anyone suggest checking your vent hose going into the right ear? cutting the hose end tip to a 45 degree angle? Something else to look at.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 04:01 PM

Garage
What Fergy suggests is the most common solution for this type of sympton.
I don't recall now if that was checked on his other thread to be honest.

Question: If you have the goat's belly on the bike, How would feeling the exhaust output tell you anything about carb sync when the chamber equilizes the exhaust output?

and I will tell you that if the carbs are far out of balance, it will run badly and somewhat unpredictably.....this is from first hand experience.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:49 PM

Garage
Now that the carbs are clean make sure you use Seafoam to keep them that way.
The Carb sync screw is kinda hard to get to, it sits down below the carbs. I did it once and I don't know that it was off that much, maybe a turn at the very most.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

kc2, You've got a point, I didn't think about the goats belly.

North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement