Removed the carbs... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Removed the carbs...

A friend came over today and helped me take the carbs off the bike. It appears it was a very good thing. I found the following issues:
  • One of the air screws was bent...And it was turned out 4 1/2 turns. The other was 2 1/4.
  • The push throttle cable was broken.
  • One screw on the coasting richening cover missing.
  • One clogged idle jet
  • Hoses on the T-fitting (reserve fuel line?) bent and cracked. Not sure whether this was existing or happened during disassembly.

This sounds (to me, at least) like it is enough to keep the bike from running. At least the jets are in really good shape, though.

Plus, folks here were correct. The rubber grommets between the tank flanges and the frame are shot. It was indeed tweaking the tank and causing it to leak between the tank and the petcock. Thanks for the advice. For the time being (and until I started working the carbs), I have loosened the bolts.

Comments?

--Storm

Storm16
Culpeper, VA
1985 VN700A1 "WindRider"
21,500 miles (9/07)
R/R relocate (9/07)
AGM Battery (10/07)

Last edited by storm16; 12-09-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
how were you running with all that?

hope u get it all running up soon though

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzo3 View Post
how were you running with all that?
I wasn't. I bought it in June with a leaking tank, thought I had it fixed, rode a little bit...And at that point it was running like crud. I then found the tank was leaking again (it was probably the grommets, in retrospect), and once that was fixed, it wouldn't even start.

Quote:
hope u get it all running up soon though
Thanks...I hope so. The grommets are $20, the throttle cables are about $50. Unfortunately, my Kawi dealer doesn't have the parts in stock. In fact, they have never had a single Vulcan part I have ever asked about in stock (which seems fairly useless to me for a dealer).

--Storm

Storm16
Culpeper, VA
1985 VN700A1 "WindRider"
21,500 miles (9/07)
R/R relocate (9/07)
AGM Battery (10/07)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to our world.
The hoses on the T fitting are for the carb vent. The hose leaving the T fitting is the one that goes into the housing for the right ear. This is the one that needs to be cut at an angle to stop it from bottoming out.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
Welcome to our world.
The hoses on the T fitting are for the carb vent. The hose leaving the T fitting is the one that goes into the housing for the right ear. This is the one that needs to be cut at an angle to stop it from bottoming out.
Thanks. I measured the inner diameter, and was going to use fuel line, but the outer diameter is too large. Can I get hose of that type at an auto parts or home store?

Storm16
Culpeper, VA
1985 VN700A1 "WindRider"
21,500 miles (9/07)
R/R relocate (9/07)
AGM Battery (10/07)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 08:59 PM

When I replaced all my fuel tubing, I just bought the tubing from the Kaw dealer. I took a piece of the old tubing and used the "that looks about right" method" to buy all the same size tubing. 4,000 miles later and no tubing problems. It cost me about .13/foot I think. I don'[t think the size is that critical other than the fact that it needs to seal on the fittings so as not to suck air into the delivery system. Other than that, as long as it fits, it should be OK.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 04:43 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

I think I got mine at a hardware store. Like ya said, the ID was the same, but the OD was larger. Worked fine though.
Like Sky Rider said, as long as it fits the fittings good, you should be fine. Don't worry about the OD.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
When I replaced all my fuel tubing, I just bought the tubing from the Kaw dealer. I took a piece of the old tubing and used the "that looks about right" method" to buy all the same size tubing. 4,000 miles later and no tubing problems. It cost me about .13/foot I think. I don'[t think the size is that critical other than the fact that it needs to seal on the fittings so as not to suck air into the delivery system. Other than that, as long as it fits, it should be OK.
Thats interesting. I talked to my Kaw dealer today, and they said the long carb vent tube was $20 and the short ones were $15 each. I think not. I'll either go to Autozone or Lowe's. Since its not passing fuel, the primary concern is the inner and outer diameter.

Unfortunately, the air screws, gaskets/o-rings and throttle cables are dealer-specific.

How do you decide whether or not to replace the gaskets/o-rings? Do you do it because you are taking it apart (and don't intend to make a habit of this) or do you look for obvious wear?

Thanks,
--Storm

Storm16
Culpeper, VA
1985 VN700A1 "WindRider"
21,500 miles (9/07)
R/R relocate (9/07)
AGM Battery (10/07)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
[QUOTE=storm16;22868]Thats interesting. I talked to my Kaw dealer today, and they said the long carb vent tube was $20 and the short ones were $15 each. I think not. I'll either go to Autozone or Lowe's. Since its not passing fuel, the primary concern is the inner and outer diameter.

Unfortunately, the air screws, gaskets/o-rings and throttle cables are dealer-specific.

How do you decide whether or not to replace the gaskets/o-rings? Do you do it because you are taking it apart (and don't intend to make a habit of this) or do you look for obvious wear?

Thanks,
--Storm[/QUOTE
i replace them depending on mileage. nothing worse then blowing a gasket. i would rather spend $10 and know they are good then find out 2-3k miles later that they were on their last leg.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 09:57 PM

You can order them (the gaskets and O rings) yourself from Ron Ayers or Bike Bandit a whole lot cheaper than your stealer. $20 for the vent hose????!!!!! That's a rip off!! It's not even a shaped hose. I'd stay away from those guys if I were you. It sounds to me like they are price gouging just because they can. The bike doesn't care if the hoses are genuine Kaw or hardware/automotive store specials. As long as it gets fuel and air in the right mixture, it's happy.
As far as replacing O rings and gaskets, if they are old and somewhat damaged, spend the $$ and replace them. If new and in good shape, keep 'em but be aware that you will probably have to replace them sometime down the road.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement