No more whistling gas cap....POOG eliminated - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

No more whistling gas cap....POOG eliminated

Like so many here, my ‘06 really suffered with POOG (Phantom Out Of Gas) issues. With each tank of gas, once it was down to 1/4 remaining (approx 90 miles), I would feel the bike bog down as if it was running out of fuel. Like you, I’d pull over, open the gas cap letting some air in the tank and then proceed on my way. At the very least it was a PITA....of course safety was a concern too. Additionally, there are many threads about the gas cap whistling.
If you have ever taken the gas cap apart, you know it’s a complicated bit of engineering.....in addition to the lock, it has screws, springs, gaskets, valves, machined channels....all designed to keep the gas in and let the tank breathe. Problem is, the tank can’t breathe because (IMHO) the damn thing is over engineered.....and the whistling you hear is the tank TRYING to suck air in through the two valves.
I finally eliminated the problem by removing the small valves and gaskets (pictured) and replacing them with a small piece of air filter sponge (the kind of filter used to replace a lawn mower air filter). After several tanks, the gas cap no longer whistles and I have not experienced the dreaded POOG issue.

Note: if you decide to take the gas cap apart, be careful....some of the parts are very small and easily lost. Good luck!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130504_184238[1].jpg
Views:	327
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	7137  

Last edited by VoIPDoc; 05-30-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 PM

Awesome, I've been thinking about this issue lately since the temperature is warming here I've noticed it whistling more often, and was thinking there must be some way to help it breathe. Trying this as soon as I get a chance.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:08 PM

Garage
OK, now I have been fortunate enough not to experience POOGS, but the other day I was riding to work and was all along on a back road. All of a sudden I heard this loud whistling and thought there was someone with a siren behind me. I didn't post anything because it went away as quick as it came about a mile further down the road. Had me completely baffled and it hasn't happened since. The noise didn't change at all when I pulled in the clutch and let off the gas, stayed the same the whole time, is that what you were dealing with?

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:44 PM

Garage
No shark, that is unknown background noise.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Prowling Tiger

I usually use Bean-O to stop the whistling gas...

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

I may try the sponge idea myself but I an a little conscerned that the tiny bit of sponge could become plugged with time.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

Last edited by Spencer1; 05-27-2013 at 09:31 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Thanks for the post. Good info.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
No shark, that is unknown background noise.
What is that suppose to mean?

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
OK, now I have been fortunate enough not to experience POOGS, but the other day I was riding to work and was all along on a back road. All of a sudden I heard this loud whistling and thought there was someone with a siren behind me. I didn't post anything because it went away as quick as it came about a mile further down the road. Had me completely baffled and it hasn't happened since. The noise didn't change at all when I pulled in the clutch and let off the gas, stayed the same the whole time, is that what you were dealing with?
Did your cooling fan kick on? Some times the fan will make a wierd sound when it comes on.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 12:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIP Doc View Post
Like so many here, my ‘06 really suffered with POOG (Phantom Out Of Gas) issues. With each tank of gas, once it was down to 1/4 remaining (approx 90 miles), I would feel the bike bog down as if it was running out of fuel. Like you, I’d pull over, open the gas cap letting some air in the tank and then proceed on my way. At the very least it was a PITA....of course safety was a concern too. Additionally, there are many threads about the gas cap whistling.
If you have ever taken the gas cap apart, you know it’s a complicated bit of engineering.....in addition to the lock, it has screws, springs, gaskets, valves, machined channels....all designed to keep the gas in and let the tank breathe. Problem is, the tank can’t breathe because (IMHO) the damn thing is over engineered.....and the whistling you hear is the tank TRYING to suck air in through the two valves.
I finally eliminated the problem by removing the small valves and gaskets (pictured) and replacing them with a small piece of air filter sponge (the kind of filter used to replace a lawn mower air filter). After several tanks, the gas cap no longer whistles and I have not experienced the dreaded POOG issue.

Note: if you decide to take the gas cap apart, be careful....some of the parts are very small and easily lost. Good luck!!

I had the unfortunate experience of having POOGS myself. I took apart my gas cap an cleaned it out. I don't recall seeing the pieces you have in the photo so maybe mine was different??? I did remove a rubber piece that was held in by a small rubber nipple in the center of the cap. It was deformed (probably from carb cleaner) and falling apart so I just removed it. It appeared to be a type of flapper valve. I have had no proplems with whistling or POOGS since.

Now you have me thinking....maybe I should take it apart again to see if I need some type of filter piece in there myself. Had no issues yet with dirt or moisture in fuel, but it you made me curious.

Thanks for posting!! I will re-visit the gas cap assembly as soon as time allows.

Last edited by new rider 9984; 10-23-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement