Completed the Ear Shave...now what? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Completed the Ear Shave...now what?

Hello All,

I have completed the ear shave procedure...'03 model with Vance & Hines Cruzer pipes (baffles out). My spark plugs are telling me that my front cylinder is running super lean (white plugs and clean pipe), and my rear cylinder is running super rich (black plugs and black pipe). When I installed the pipes I also did a rejet kit (138 and 38 jets). I have tried to lean/fatten up the mixture with the screws as much as possible, but I believe that is only really effective for idle and low rpms. Does anyone know what would cause the drastic difference per cylinder, and now to fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:10 AM

I'd look for a vacuum leak. Check the boots real good.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 AM

Balancing the carbs may be in order.

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Okiebezer - I notice that you have 142/42 jets...do you think this could be my issue? What does "carb balancing" entail?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

When I rejetted (earshave and coastering) I installed 142 Main jets but the 42 pilot jets I ordered weren't the correct style so in my hurry to ride I reinstalled the stock size 38 pilot jets until the replacement 42 jets could be shipped. My bike was very lean after this (pipes even began to get some color to them and plugs had white ash on them after about 150 miles of riding). A week later the new 42 pilot jets came in so I quickly installed them and the engine is no longer lean and runs much stronger, instant difference. Thus I'm surprised that one cylinder seems to be running so rich with stock jets. Perhaps the rear is dark because of oil seeping into the cylinder? Burned oil will make your plugs dark and even foul them. If you bike sat a long time the valve guides may now be allowing oil to escape the head into the cylinder.

I have to agree that you may have a vacume leak and may also need to balence the carbs but either way you need to consider rejetting after an earshave. I realize that some people here say you don't need to rejet after an earshave but my bike required it and there was a world of difference after I replaced the stock slow (pilot) jet with the 42's.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

So it sounds like larger jets are in order but if oil was getting to the rear plug what is my course of action? Seems to be slight if at all?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

Did you vent the crankcase when you did the earshave? If you just plugged the vent line excessive crankcase pressure could be pushing oil past your valve guided and rings. If the rear cylinder didn't have an oil fouling problem before the earshave then it shouldn't have one now unless the bike sat a long time. Assuming that the dark rear plugs is from oil there are no easy fixes that I know of. Usually it's from a worn valve guide or worn or stuck piston wiper ring.

Unless you've got a lot of white smoke coming from the rear tailpipe just check the plugs occasionally for oil fouling and enjoy your ride. While it's your decision I'd up the jet sizes and put 2 shims under each of the needles to get a little more fuel in there, that's what I did.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Hello All,

Does anyone know what would cause the drastic difference per cylinder, and now to fix?

Unless you're elevation is 4000"+, you're too small on the jets....Generally speaking, SL to 4K = 142/42
Because of the length difference of the exhaust pipes, the mixture screw setting may NOT necessarily be the same. On my bike, the left carb (front cyl) is backed out 2 Ĺ turns....right carb (rear cyl) is backed out 3 turns.

Purrs like a kitten and only slight rumble during decel.

Hope this helps
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 PM

Carb sync

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-EX9ZmYUPQ

Different bike, same concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2J_N4VVGGo

Good idea on the crankcase vent. I also agree the 142/42's made a big difference, but since one seemed richer than other I think it could be adjustments. One side may indeed need to be turned out more than other. I think mine are 2 1/2 & 2 3/4. Close.

Malibu Shades windscreen, headlight visor, custom dashboard with voltmeter and clock, luggage rack, extended backrest, Viking saddlebags and toolbag, Wingerline engine guard with foot pads, light bar with halogen bulbs, Hardley Sportster muffs with crossover, homemade coasters, earshave with K&N pods, 142/42 jets with 2 shims each needle, MCCT's, AGM battery, coil relay mod, Iridiums with yellow NGK plug wires, relocated R/R, WOLO air horn, VN750.com chrome radiator guard
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

You guys are awesome...thanks for the info. I have appropriately vented the crank case thru a filter...so that can't be it. I am going to get the new jets and pull the carb to clean, etc. I will post the results when complete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement