Fuel system is driving me nuts... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Fuel system is driving me nuts...

I have been having an ongoing problem with my VN700 and fuel leaks.

When I bought the bike (an '85, the only year they made the VN700), it had a leaking fuel tank. I identified (or thought I had) the leak, it was between the mounting flange under the seat and the base of the tank itself. I filled it with JBWeld and thought the problem was fixed. Well, it was also leaking around the front left mounting flange. At this point, I got POR15 and sealed the inside of the tank. Problem solved, or so I thought again.

Well, I remounted the tank, and came home a day later to a garage full of gas smell, and the left side of the engine was damp with gasoline. I got my hands on a Clymer manual, and noted that the two petcock screws were supposed to have nylon washers on the screws. The manual says something to the effect of "do not attempt to use metal washers, they do not seal, and cause gas leaks." The previous owner did not have them on there, and I didn't know. I went looking for nylon washers, but could not find them at the Kawasaki shop, hardware stores, auto parts stores, etc. I did have some rubberized fiber gasket material, so I fashioned washers from that. I also replaced the petcock gasket (which the Kawi dealer did have in stock).

I reassembled the tank and petcock and left it on a tarp for 2 days. No leaks.
Another two days sitting on the bike. No leaks.
Last night, I bolted the tank back down and reconnected the fuel lines, and all of a sudden I'm smelling gas again.

Does this sound like a problem with the petcock? Could bolting it down to the frame be torquing the tank in such a way as to cause the leak? (When bolting it down, I did notice that the front flanges were bending slightly inward as I tightened the bolts. I thought this was normal.

Can someone suggest something? The tank is great until I bolt it down...And my wife has given me two unpalatable options...Store the bike outside or drain the fuel.

Also, does anyone know someone in Northern/Central Virginia who is good with Vulcans? I am going to need a carb job since I have not ridden the bike that much since I bought it (in June).

Thanks,
--Storm

Storm16
Culpeper, VA
1985 VN700A1 "WindRider"
21,500 miles (9/07)
R/R relocate (9/07)
AGM Battery (10/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 12:56 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
People have had problems with the mounting flange tabs cracking if tightened to tight. Will cause a fuel leak.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm16
Also, does anyone know someone in Northern/Central Virginia who is good with Vulcans? I am going to need a carb job since I have not ridden the bike that much since I bought it (in June).

--Storm
There's a good Yamaha dealer in Frederick, MD who has always done a nice job for me. Fredericktown Yamaha - it's a family-run business, and they are very good. The service manager, Jerry, is excellent. The other option in this area is up in Hagerstown - Twigg Cycles. They're a little bit more of a fancy-pants dealership, and although they sell and service Kaws, I've not taken my bike to them ever (bought a used one from them once, and it had a significant problem). You might also post a question to the NoVa Craigslist motorcycles site and see if anyone has any recommendations - most of what I've read there has been pretty negative for the DC area.

However, before you go schlepping your gas-laden bike around (and thereby having your wife tell you that you now need to sell the car/truck), check the Vulcan Verses on this site for the use of SeaFoam to clean your carbs. It's got all kinds of reports of being a "miracle worker" on long-sitting bikes (and even new bikes that get crud in the carbs). You can get it at Pep Boys for about $6 - for the money, it's a great first shot at cleaning out the system.

C

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:26 PM

It sounds like you might need to shop for a used tank and just replace yours. Sounds like a lot of trouble to keep hacking on that tank.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:02 PM

JB weld will disolve with repeated contact with fuel. I sealed an old 72 Galaxy car tank with it way back when and the patch held for about a year or so and then re opened. That and the JB weld doesn't flex very well so if you bent the tabs on the tank when mounting it, I would suspect that you broke the patch loose and it is leaking again.
As far as options, you can try the Weld again, drain the tank and dry it out and have the cracks welded by a shop, or replace the tank. Used tanks are on ebay all the time or you may check a motorcycle salvage yard if there is one nearby.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:21 PM

Threre is suppose to be a rubber grommet between the ear on the tank and the frame. You can see it on the diagram at this link http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_02...0&parent=10700 It is part number 92075. If this is missing then tighten down the ears will cause leaks. I this found out the hard way. Once you have found the leak the best fix is to find a good welder that can weld the crack closed. You will have to drain the tank and let it sit for a few days to make sure the fumes are out befire it can be welded on. There are also tank patch kits at your local hardware store. Either way I would drain the tank and let it sit for a few days to make sure the fumes are out. Otherwise the patch won't hold or the welder will be in for a nasty surprise.

Jamie B.
Ankeny IA
88 Vulcan 750 with 40K+ miles
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:33 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Definatly get some seafoam. And, like Fergy & Sky Rider said, probably a good idea to look for another tank. IMO, that'd be the best option.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365
There's a good Yamaha dealer in Frederick, MD who has always done a nice job for me. Fredericktown Yamaha - it's a family-run business, and they are very good. The service manager, Jerry, is excellent. The other option in this area is up in Hagerstown - Twigg Cycles. They're a little bit more of a fancy-pants dealership, and although they sell and service Kaws, I've not taken my bike to them ever (bought a used one from them once, and it had a significant problem). You might also post a question to the NoVa Craigslist motorcycles site and see if anyone has any recommendations - most of what I've read there has been pretty negative for the DC area.
Thanks for the tips. Fredneck and Hagerstown are a little far for me. I actually consider where I live "Central" Virginia. With the Northern VA traffic, Richmond is actually about the same amount of time though further in miles. So hopefully I will run across a shade-tree mechanic who specializes in Vulcans, or at least Kawasakis.

--Storm

Storm16
Culpeper, VA
1985 VN700A1 "WindRider"
21,500 miles (9/07)
R/R relocate (9/07)
AGM Battery (10/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement