New 2006 idles at 4200 RPM's HELP! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

New 2006 idles at 4200 RPM's HELP!

OK, now that I have your attention, I have a severe problem with my new VN750 with 286 miles on it. I'll try to explain. I started it up for a long ride this morning, (42 degrees) & after a good warmup, I took off. It ran like a Swiss watch for about 25 miles. I came up to my first stop at a four way, & it died. I applied some throttle & took off again. I pulled into a Wesco fuel stop & it died again. I then smelled gas. I restarted & headed out again. I got to my destination, & I had to turn the idle up to keep it running & it didn't want to idle very good. It sat there for about a half hour at my friends home. I started for home & things really went south. At highway speeds at about 50--60 miles per hour, it purrs along great, but now when I come up to a traffic light, it wants to idle at 4000 to 4500 RPM's! Sometimes it will just sit there in neutral racing at 4000 + and then sometimes it will slowly idle down to 1000 rpm's.

I pulled it into the garage this afternoon.....pulled the fuel tank, checked the tank vent, made sure the vent hose in the right ear was not pushed in too far & checked all of the hoses & fittings that I could get to. Everything looked OK.

I took it back out for another spin, & no better. When I shift gears, when I close the throttle, it speeds up between shifts (to 4500 rpm's). I came back home, & when I came into the drive, it wouldn't come back down to under 4500 rpm's! I reached down & turned the throttle stop several turns out & it idled down & quit. I then turned it in until I got a nice 1100 rpm idle, blipped the throttle a few times, & it sat there & idled fine. Now here is the kicker.......I then twisted the throttle up to 6000 & it wouldn't come down past 4200 rpm's. While it was racing at 4200, I checked the throttle stop & it was back against the stop screw. The choke is also closed & has a small amount of free play. The throttle cables also have a bit of free play.

It just started doing this crap today. I know it is under warranty, but I would like to find the problem myself as it is a pain to take it back to my dealer which is 60 miles away.

It also stumbles & misses a bit when taking off when I can get it idled down. It then smoothes out after 2500 RPM's or so.

I know for a fact that it is getting too much fuel at low speed. Why, I don't know. It does blow out a small amount of dark smoke when I grab a handfull of throttle, & the exhaust pipes are blacker than a black cats hiney!

I already had to take this bike back to dealer at 91 miles for a rear trans seal replacement! This is my ninth bike & first KAW, & probably my last.

Sorry this post is so long, but I wanted to give all of the info I could.
Any ideas?

Tcat

2006 VN750
Splines lubed With TSMOLY 70
R&R Relocated
Marbled (Cat's eyes no less)
Digital Volt, Amp, Temp gauge (Kisan)
Pipes Drilled
Carb Adj. at 3 3/4
Polaris AGM Battery (190 CCA)
Kaw rear rack
Kaw front engine guard
National Cycle Street Shield EX W/S
Mobile 1 MX4T 10W40 oil (Now labled 4T Racing)
Purolator PL14610 oil filter (Painted)
Iridium Spark Plugs
Pulsating Brake Light (Kisan)

My Motto: Don't get mad, just get even. Trust me, I will get even!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Geek

Stuck float ?

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Geek

Both pipes have black smoke ? Check the spark plugs. When mine was brand new I had some problems and the dealer replaced the plugs and all the problems went away.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 07:06 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewell
Stuck float ?
That's kinda what it sounds like to me.
One old trick is to tap the carb bowls with something like a wooden handle from a small hammer. Don't smack it hard, just tap it a couple times.
Even if that does smooth things out, it wouldn't hurt to have a competent dealer look at it.
With less than 300 miles, I can see that some things may still need tweaked a little. Don't let this dicourage ya from the Vulcan just yet. Some more miles on it will get everything where it needs to be.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Did that

On my way back home, I stopped at another friends house. He has a 2004 VN750 with about 4500 miles on it. I did ask him for a plastic hammer, & I then started it up......twisted the throttle up high, & it came back down to about 4200 rpms. I then started tapping the carbs one at a time & it just sat there racing at 4200 r's. It didn't change a thing. I had to shut it down at that high rpm. I then restarted it & it idled at 1100 or so. ?????????? It was a real bitc* coming up to a stoplight with the engine racing while waiting forever for the light to change!

It act's like the carb slide/diaphram unit is hanging up, & the needle is still up out of the tube. I do know for a fact that the round throttle plate is coming all the way back, but not sure if the slide assy with needle is back down or not.

I just went back out & pulled the rubber air boots off of the end of the carbs. I reached in & pushed the slide & needle up & down on both carbs, & there is lots of free play & not binding. Maybe a vacuum problem, holding the slide up after the throttle is closed??????????????

2006 VN750
R&R Relocated
Pipes Drilled
Carb Adj. at 3 3/4
Kaw rear rack
Kaw front engine guard
Iridium Spark Plugs

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
have you checked to make sure throttle cables are not sticking? maybe the dealer forgot to lube them. there has to be something up with the throttle linkage, cause it needs the added air to get to 4200 rpms, it cant do that on a closed throttle. On the otherhand, the way our carbs work, all the throttle does is release pressure, so as you said it could be vacume related, since that is what actually opens the throttle.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:51 AM
Once Banned

Having not had the carbs out, I've gotta ask - you mean to say that the throttle doesn't open the butterflies?

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

Hi guys.......The best way I can explain this problem is.....when the bike idles at the proper speed, at 1100 rpm's, the metal carb stop bracket is all the way back & touching the idle stop screw. Also when the bike is running at the high idle speed (4200 or so) it is ALSO back against the idle stop screw. Either way, the metal bracket is touching the stop screw.

The way the carbs work.......is it possible that one or both of the carb butterflies is sticking open even if the bracket is all the way back & touching the stop screw? I thought that the buttereflies were tied to the metal bracket that touches the idle stop screw?

One more note.....when the bike decides to idle back up to the high rpm's....when it does this crap, it IS running very smooth at that high idle, like both carbs have a problem, not just one. ???????

As one of you guys stated above, when it idles fast, it does have to get it's air from somewhere, but as I stated above, the bracket is all the way back touching the stop screw at 1100 or 4500 rpm's! Again, dosen't that mean that the butterflies have to be closed also when the bracket is touching the stop screw????? Hmmmmm

Thanks for your great replies. I am getting very frustrated with this new bike, but I do want to fix it. Our riding time will be coming to an end soon here in Michigan, & I don't want to put it away broke!

Please keep any ideas coming so I can fix it & not have to haul it back to the dealer again.

Tcat

2006 VN750
R&R Relocated
Pipes Drilled
Carb Adj. at 3 3/4
Kaw rear rack
Kaw front engine guard
Iridium Spark Plugs

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Search Goddess

Based on past experiences from others with new bikes.. let me pass this along to you..

It is not uncommon for bits of a gel like substance to show up in the carbs on a brand new bike. Doesn't happen to all, but I have heard of at least a half dozen or so new bikes where they did take it back to the dealer and they pulled crud out of the carb. It's part of break-in cleaning process getting all the loose gaskets pieces etc out of the system.

My suggestion.. Let the dealer to the tedious carb work under warranty.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegodsey
Having not had the carbs out, I've gotta ask - you mean to say that the throttle doesn't open the butterflies?
.....nope, first, we have slides, not butterflies....second, the diaphram opens the slide from the vacume of the engine, and all the throttle does is release the pressure to close. that is how all CV carbs work. This is done to keep the right amount of air at all rpms and altitudes.

i would follow dianna's advice, let the dealer do it... its still under its break in.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band