Dealer Carb Overhaul - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Texas Cruiser
Dealer Carb Overhaul

I just had my carbs overhauled at the dealer (too much work, not enough time). Expensive, but hey...I want to ride. I picked up the bike this morning.

I noticed several things are different:
1. Rougher idle - not terribly rough, but not the smooth idle I had a year ago. After temp gauge moved into the operating range, I removed all choke and the bike died. Perhaps idle was set too low, so I raised the idle and it doesn't die now, but not as smooth as I would like.
2. Choke now appears to work as it should. Full choke, no throttle and the bike starts. I reduce choke as it warms up and reducing the choke drops RPM. That's good.
3. I have to roll the throttle back quite a bit to shift or the engine RPM climbs when I disengage the cluth. I didn't have to do that before. Is this "normal" to have to roll the throttle to idle before shifting?
4. I get the occasional backfire when downshifting and letting the engine brake the bike.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Texas Cruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Cruiser
I just had my carbs overhauled at the dealer (too much work, not enough time). Expensive, but hey...I want to ride. I picked up the bike this morning.

I noticed several things are different:
1. Rougher idle - not terribly rough, but not the smooth idle I had a year ago. After temp gauge moved into the operating range, I removed all choke and the bike died. Perhaps idle was set too low, so I raised the idle and it doesn't die now, but not as smooth as I would like.
2. Choke now appears to work as it should. Full choke, no throttle and the bike starts. I reduce choke as it warms up and reducing the choke drops RPM. That's good.
3. I have to roll the throttle back quite a bit to shift or the engine RPM climbs when I disengage the cluth. I didn't have to do that before. Is this "normal" to have to roll the throttle to idle before shifting?
4. I get the occasional backfire when downshifting and letting the engine brake the bike.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Texas Cruiser
For the idle, I'd run a healthy dose of Seafoam through it. They might have knocked some junk loose and didn't get it all out.

The bike should run fine with the idle set at 1100 rpm when the bike's warmed up.

If you have the idle set too high, I can see where it would act wierd when you shift. Reset the idle.

Maybe the carbs need to be synched. It should have been done after they put the carbs in but you never know.

If it doesn't run right with the idle set correctly and after running some Seafoam through it, you should take it back and have them look it over again.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
you may also wanna check the cable adjustments on the choke to make sure when you have it off, it is really off, and also make sure that the throttle isnt too tight. But to be honest, the idle issue sounds like they messed up shimming or something.

also the popping is somewhat normal. before your carbs were gunked some. so at idle and decel, you run lean, so no pop, but now it may run a lil rich (which is normal).

i suggest a normal check out on the carbs. this includes seafoam, syncing, draining the bowls, check the boots (yes makes a difference), check the cable adjustments, after all that, then adjust the idle. also i would check the air filters, when was the last time they were cleaned? I am in dallas and drive by construction, so i clean mine every 6-9k miles.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:20 PM

Man good are getting harder and harder to find.You would think with the training they get at the service schools that Im sure that they send them to that they could make your bike run like new.I used to be a small engine mechanic and that motor I worked on ran like it was brand new I just dont understand.........
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 09:16 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I don't know if I'd do anything yet, except to take the bike back and tell them that it's not right. And, you don't expect to be charged to have them fix their mistake.
The expense of having a (authorized?) dealer do it should mean it's done right, the first time.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin
I don't know if I'd do anything yet, except to take the bike back and tell them that it's not right. And, you don't expect to be charged to have them fix their mistake.
The expense of having a (authorized?) dealer do it should mean it's done right, the first time.
I agree

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Dead Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewell
I agree

The shifting problem does remind me of the idle. I've had that problem before, and yeah, it's a pain. Drop the idle and it dies. I just cranked on the air/idle mixture screws until it lined out. That was, of course, a SOHC4 Honda, and not the Vulcan.

Take it back and complain. If you don't, it only gives more credit to the mechanic. I was proud of the lack of returns I got, which gave me a pretty good reputation, but I couldn't help but wonder how many people took their stuff to other mechanics after I was done.

I know it happened a couple times, but those people couldn't understand when I told them that Craftsman power equipment is garbage to begin with, and not worth repair.

Hippie Dave

'86 VN750
'71 CB500K1
'74 CB550
'71 CB350
'71 SL350
More complete list to come....

'28 Essex Super Six
'41 Chevy Special Deluxe
'63 Buick Riviera
'65 Buick Riviera
'75 Camaro
'76 Chevy Monza
'76 Olds Starfire
'79 Monza Spyder
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Once Banned

And that would be power equipment, not tools. Although I did go through several 13mm sockets taking off the head bolts of my last car. But they were replaced for free.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 08:46 AM
"ya can't live forever"

backfire......intake leak at the boots
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Engine not wanting to throttle down during shifts could be badly adjusted throttle cables, or vacuum leaks. Rougn idle could be vacuum leaks and/or carbs out of sync. I'd be back there as soon as they open!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement