rear cylinder carb issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

rear cylinder carb issues

Hello everyone. I got a good one for you guys. So I am in the process of pulling the bike out for the summer due to the great weather.

She runs and idles great, but when I put her in gear and try to go the rear cylinder seems to cut out. When I ride I can feel the rear cylinder fire up and get the extra power. I can hear it popping and trying to fire just not staying running.

Sitting at idle I can hear slight popping but the cylinder stays running. I have run seafoam through carb and used carb cleaner in as many places as possible with carbs on. It is a brand new maintenance free AGM battery. All 4 spark plugs have good spark.

This seems like a carb issue but I know you guys have a lot more experience than me. I am trying to do the most without pulling the carbs(although I may just use it as an excuse to re jet and shave the ears). its really starting to blow my mind here.
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM

Garage
Carb is probably flooded, pull your plugs on the rear cyl and see if they're wet.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

just took it for a ride to get an accurate reading of the plugs. There may have been a small amount of moisture on the plugs but by no means were they soaking wet.

One thing I did notice was it would still spit and sputter the whole time while cruising, but if I let off a little and blipped the throttle the other cylinder would fire quickly then go back again to spitting.

My exhaust still has the goats belly. The left exhaust is the one sputtering I am right that it is the rear cylinder correct. just checking.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM

Garage
front jug is right side exhaust.
rear jug is left side

I would suspect your coils......check your grounds and also the coil should have a solid battery voltage applied to it or it may get squirly.
if the battery voltage applied to the coils drop, it may not fire properly.

Is your charging system working properly? Electrics on the VN750 are very important to maintaining a good ignition. Check out all your connections, make sure you got a good voltage to the coils, and check and clean your frame grounds.

See if that helps before you go tearing into everything.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:55 PM

Sounds a lot like the post where the gap on the pickup coils was too wide.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

I have some time off this afternoon. Im going to check all of the connections and clean them. I searched but could not find a thread on how to check the coils(I take it you mean the ignition coils). what is the easiest way. I have a multimeter but not sure which wires to check.

I saw a thread on gapping the pickup coils tighter too. even if that's not the problem it sounds like its a good idea so that's on the list.

thanks for the input ill let you know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement