Hard to start issue? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Hard to start issue?

I have a friend who has a '98 vulcan 750. He says it has a hard time starting when cold. He also doesn't ride often. He is convinced it needs a stage 1 jet kit. The bike is stock.

I think it just needs the carbs removed, taken apart, cleaned, and put back together. Maybe shim the needles to give it a bit more pep. Maybe drain and replace all the fuel, maybe replace the plugs, maybe see if the oil level is too high (too much oil or maybe fuel in the oil).

I've never worked on a vulcan before. I've messed with honda's inline 4, honda's v-twins, suzuki v-twins, and a tiny bit on a kawasaki baby ninja.

I've read several posts that say the airbox and carbs are a real pain to get out and even more of a pain to get back in.

Is there any Vulcan-specific issues that I should check first before tearing the carbs out? What do you guys think will cause a hard start issue?

I'm thinking clean the jets, new fuel, correct oil level, good battery, good plugs, good spark and the bike should have no issues starting right up, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken99287 View Post
I'm thinking clean the jets, new fuel, correct oil level, good battery, good plugs, good spark and the bike should have no issues starting right up, right?
True.

A good battery is an AGM, maintenance free battery. This will help greatly with startups if he doesn't have one yet.

1985 VN700 unknown mileage (over 33K)

AGM Battery
Iridium spark plugs
NGK wires and caps
Relocated R/R
Marbled
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Update.

It's a little more than stock. I'm guessing there are some kind of baffles at the tips of the exhaust - they have been drilled and removed. Two k&n filter pods replace the stock filters in the air boxes.

The breather tube to the bottom of the tank was not attached. (Not the little tube at the rear end of the tank).

I'm assuming stock jetting.

The bike is difficult to keep running to warm up. It turns Over a few times and dies. Even with choke fully closed. Kinds have to fiddle with it to get it to stay running. Once it warns up it's fine. Even if it's shut of for a couple hours it'll start right back up. It's only when it's stone cold that there is an issue.

Could that tank breather tube be an issue with starting?

I'm guessing either a jet kit or stock air filters are in the future? Maybe shimming the needles will help?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 11:42 AM

Enricher (choke) not working on cold starts? I think it's called an enricher, it's not a choke butterfly like usual, even has it's own jet. So maybe that jet needs cleaned?

If it's running good warm and not showing signs of being lean, it may not need jetting.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to first clean the carb and see if that helps. I'll also put a thin washer on the needle to give it a tad more fuel.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I would have appreciated a warning about the horrors of vn750 carb removal guys!

And what the heck kind of carb is this?! I've never seen anything like it. I removed the bottom plates to reveal the jets but how the heck do you get at the float valves? And where is this "enrichment" jet?

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Clean the slow jet. Topics on this site to read first and realize these carbs are a pain to remove. Took me about 2 hours (taking my time) last night, getting it past the surge tank is not much fun..
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ht=remove+carb

VIDEO of VN750 carb rebuild
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIzp...0dFAAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited by Spencer1; 04-20-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added details
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Banned

Ken, I agree w/Spockster, however I think you should make sure the 'choke' cable is active before anything else. There is a free manual to download with good pictures to adjust choke (enrichment) activation.

The enrichment circuit jet will be just below the 'choke' plunger visible on the outside of the carb. Are these plungers rising when you pull the choke on.

Last edited by wmsonta; 04-20-2013 at 07:14 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsonta View Post
Ken, I agree w/Spockster, however I think you should make sure the 'choke' cable is active before anything else. There is a free manual to download with good pictures to adjust choke (enrichment) activation.

The enrichment circuit jet will be just below the 'choke' plunger visible on the outside of the carb. Are these plungers rising when you pull the choke on.
Well the plunger goes in and out. I'll have to check that jet, I guess.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Put the carb back together. I hope it'll be OK.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366524946187.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	6154   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366524958042.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	6162   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366524974534.jpg