Who Wants to do a Smoke Test on the Airbox Hose? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Question Who Wants to do a Smoke Test on the Airbox Hose?

Got to thinking about the small hose coming off the right front of the air surge tank. It runs down the front of the frame, clipped to the tube, with the end dangling open. A water drain I suppose?

Seems like dirt would get sucked right into this hose and end up in your cylinders. Am I missing something?

Already have mine apart or would test this myself. If you still have the surge tank/air box, all you would have to do is start it up and hold a lit cigarette at the end of the hose and watch where the smoke goes.

Why would they leave this open to dirt like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM

If its a drain, its not an issue, it will always have positive pressure when the bike is running....if its a vac hose, the bike would run like crap with it unhooked...you could try a smoke test with the engine running, but if it sucks the smoke, its more than likely a tank vent and gets minimal vacuum...
If youre real concerned, wrap the end in fish tank filter floss...will still breathe, but may end up clogging either in or out...

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm not understanding how the surge tank would have positive pressure, pulling air through those two little square holes, seems like it would have vacuum. But I don't know exactly how the emissions system flows either. I assume the air is injected into the heads, so without a pump it's getting air from the surge tank then.

I thought maybe the hose was a condensate drain. Thinking when you shut in the right weather, the box might sweat. Positive pressure when it runs would push condensation out I guess.

Nothing to worry about then, but I'm baffled how it makes positive pressure in the box.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 PM

Cool ?????

If you can roll it i can smoke it

Many many mod's
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Finally got my utilities and internet back after a massive lightning strike last night, was quite a show but also cooked the ethernet in my pc. I was looking right at the spot where it hit outside.

From looking at the manual, the emissions valve is called a suction valve, and the reed valves open outward, making flow toward the surge tank. The manual says all the gases are pulled into the intake to be burned, gases from the crankcase vent and each head. So it's more an exhaust gas recirculation than air injection.

However, the nipple for the apparent drain line sits down in a well of the surge tank, so it's possible it doesn't get into the airstream and get a vacuum on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement