One Piece Airbox/Surge Tank Removal-no cutting - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

eusjma, you're welcome and thanks. Thinking the write-up might look better just posting the high spots, the two or three added steps.

Found a pic of the valve cover gasket, it does look pretty substantial. Is it metal reinforced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Jack of all trades

Nope, just a plain ol' rubber gasket. Don't just rip the valve cover off and it is pretty easy to keep it stationary. Peel the gasket from the valve cover carefully and you don't worry about messing it up.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Good to know, thanks.

Hard to believe the design of the intake, pulling through those 1" square holes. For a while I thought the chrome ear covers were open. Really surprised me.

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Excellent idea. I would recommend soaking the airbox in WD-40 first, to help make it come out easier, and to help prevent gouging it. If I ever needed to remove mine, I would definitely want to put it back in.

Those little square holes are there to restrict air flow, to keep the air/fuel mixture right. I did remove the rubber grommets from mine (still have them) it made no difference.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

For what it's worth....

Plugged the harness back in last night. It was super easy, no head scratching about where this or that plug went, everything has it's own shape and color so there's no confusion.

I'm relocating the stator and pickup coil wire harnesses to run over the top of trans. In the factory setup, these wires get twisted, kinked, clamped, and crammed between the stator cover and trans., and clamped by a bolt behind the clutch lever. The rubber cover on my original stator lead was cut open by the clamp and was also rubbing the clutch lever.

Over toward the top/middle of the trans, there's a loop sticking out of the case, may be a lifting eye for use at factory assembly. I plan to try and use this empty loop to bolt up something to hold the two harnesses and suspend them above the trans, this should be a cooler environment for them.

Might not be as clean and pretty as the factory setup, but it should allow the stator wires to run cooler. My thinking... engine heat warms the wires as heat from the electric current is also heating them. So less engine heat has to be good.

I can always cover the relocated harnesses with a black or chrome wire loom/cover, just need about 12".

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Mine came out in one piece. Wasn't a box any longer but it was one piece.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Good to know, thanks.

Hard to believe the design of the intake, pulling through those 1" square holes. For a while I thought the chrome ear covers were open. Really surprised me.
The one inch square holes are what control the amount of intake air to the engine, just like the snorkel did on the air cleaner of old carbureted car engines. Back then, many people flipped the dished top of the air cleaner lid upside down, creating a gap between the lid and the pan, so air could get in all the way around. But I don't suppose that many realized that increased air flow meant a leaner A/F mixture, and that you would need to rejet to compensate for it. Then came those cheap chrome aftermarket air cleaners, with just a thin top and bottom plate, which left the filter element open all the way around. Since those still use the stock filter, they work fine, but you do need to rejet for them, at least on carbureted engines.

I still have my carbs off, awaiting parts. I am still considering using the Uni filters. But here is something I found out. The manual says to remove a whole bunch of cooling system parts in order to make it possible to raise the airbox high enough to get the carbs in and out. I can get the carbs out without doing that, and I can get them back in, but I cannot get the rubber ducts back in place in the surge tank. Last time I put the carbs back in I found a way. I cut a bunch of rubber off the top part of the ducts, which stuck way up inside the surge tank, above the groove which holds the ducts in place. This rubber was very thick, and made the end of the duct very stiff, which is why it wouldn't go back in with the carbs in place. Cutting it off made the ducts much more flexible, and they popped right in. Since room was very tight, I used the sanded down end of a 1/4" wood dowel to finish pushing the duct into place. Don't even think about using a screwdriver unless you want a hole in the duct. I thought they might pop out because they were much more flexible, but they never did.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
The one inch square holes are what control the amount of intake air to the engine, just like the snorkel did on the air cleaner of old carbureted car engines.
This is where we part company. 2 sq in is 50% more area than a carburetor that only draws for 284* out of every 720*. It only draws hard for about 90*, I would guess the amount of air to be much less than the plenum volume.

The small snorkels (mostly 2 bbl carbs) were several times more area than the throttle area.

Putting open element air cleaners on, often went slower at the strip mostly because of the profile of the air cleaner base.. The Genuine Racecar Sound Effects is what made them faster in somebodies head. The most improvement I have ever seen was around 0.1 sec. Anybody who believes they can 'feel' a tenth in a quarter, would believe the trees moving makes the wind blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Back then, many people flipped the dished top of the air cleaner lid upside down, creating a gap between the lid and the pan, so air could get in all the way around. But I don't suppose that many realized that increased air flow meant a leaner A/F mixture, and that you would need to rejet to compensate for it. Then came those cheap chrome aftermarket air cleaners, with just a thin top and bottom plate, which left the filter element open all the way around. Since those still use the stock filter, they work fine, but you do need to rejet for them, at least on carbureted engines.
I disagree completely.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Only time I worried about jets on the street was if I added headers. At that, most of the time I just enjoyed the torque and mpg increase, and let it be.

Only lid I flipped was on Q-jets, just because that wail sounds so awesome and startles pedestrians. Meh, I guess it worked on the 460 Fords too.

I think the trick to putting boots back in the airbox, is to stuff them in too far, then pull it back out where the groove is.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Banned

I should stay away from these types of threads. It is 37* out and too cold to start my workout so....

Statement. If there is no obvious engineering incentive to support your assumption, it probably deserves more scrutiny.

Kawasaki designed a restrictive intake. Reilly? Why?

Cheaper? No, few intakes could be more expensive than OEM vn.

Quieter? No, the only M/C with louder intakes were manual slide individual filter M/C's. Mine is loud. The intakes are intentionally ahead of the operator.

Efficiency. Not sold as high mpg. Original design introduced at a time when mpg was unimportant. I could count on 60 mpg from my '83 Shadow.

Power. Aha. The much increased cost of producing a machine with convoluted intake plenum and 'chambered' exhaust can only point to wave tuned engine performance. Successful wave tuning usually increases the bottom 10%, the middle 15+% and costs 5-7% top end hp.
.................................................. .................................................. ....

I often am asked to tune 2+ hp per cu in V8's. Most are Holley carburetors. If the hp is still increasing above a 10% increase in jet orifice size above original, there is usually a problem elsewhere. Why? Simply put, a carb is a siphoning devise. If you increase just the airflow, you increase the siphoning draw. Once the proper relationship between gas jet and carb venturi is established, few modifications will change it. This is why dyno only carburetors work so well on so many different engines.

A gas jet should be seen as simply a limit on the amount of gas. Carburetor venturi as a limit to the amount of airflow.

Last edited by wmsonta; 10-23-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement