Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

New gas tank pukes gas

Howdy,

Got my bike back today. Had a terrible time at the gas pump. Filled it with gas, capped it, and set it down on stand and gas starts running out from around the cap. Popped the cap and the gas is literally gushing out of the tank down the side of the bike. I have not experienced this with the other 2 gas tanks I had, just his new 2004 model. If finally stopped after the gas level dropped some.

So, I am wondering: 1) did I overfill; or, 2) is there something wrong with the cap?

I usually fill right to the bottom of the goose neck and never had any gas spill before. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
Howdy,

Got my bike back today. Had a terrible time at the gas pump. Filled it with gas, capped it, and set it down on stand and gas starts running out from around the cap. Popped the cap and the gas is literally gushing out of the tank down the side of the bike. I have not experienced this with the other 2 gas tanks I had, just his new 2004 model. If finally stopped after the gas level dropped some.

So, I am wondering: 1) did I overfill; or, 2) is there something wrong with the cap?

I usually fill right to the bottom of the goose neck and never had any gas spill before. What are your thoughts?
fill it on the sidestand and see if it does it.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 PM

What he said, and also check the vents under the tank, and in the cap itself....

Was it very warm out ?...fuel will expand...but Id say check the venting...cap and the tube that comes from the level sensor...sounds like mebbe it just burped...that used to happen on my 68 Sportster sometimes.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
What he said, and also check the vents under the tank, and in the cap itself....

Was it very warm out ?...fuel will expand...but Id say check the venting...cap and the tube that comes from the level sensor...sounds like mebbe it just burped...that used to happen on my 68 Sportster sometimes.
> About mid 70's outside. Still, never had this issue on the older tanks.
> Cap was cleaned a while back
> I do not have a tube running from the sending unit
> I do have a tube running off rear of tank which I checked before installing.

I must be overfilling it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 PM

You have a Cali tank then if you have a tube in the rear...there should at least be a nipple on the sending unit...if there is, hook up a hose to it, open the cap and blow....might be clogged...if there's no nipple on the sending unit, hook a tube to the rear and blow....should be fairly clear and you should hear it...worst comes to worst, get a non Cali sending unit so it vents properly. I think you can just get the cover.
PS...temp was not warm enough to cause that...must be a vent burp...

Last edited by Wolfie; 04-13-2013 at 09:11 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
You have a Cali tank then if you have a tube in the rear...there should at least be a nipple on the sending unit...if there is, hook up a hose to it, open the cap and blow....might be clogged...if there's no nipple on the sending unit, hook a tube to the rear and blow....should be fairly clear and you should hear it...worst comes to worst, get a non Cali sending unit so it vents properly. I think you can just get the cover.
PS...temp was not warm enough to cause that...must be a vent burp...
I disagree. My bike is not a Cali version. The vent tube flows straight from gas cap to rear vent hose. There is no charcoal can on the bike. I have had the sending unit off multiple times and have never seen any vent tubes under the tanks. I think Kaw used the same sending unit cap for all variants. The rear tube connects to tank and goes nowhere.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:00 PM

...maybe 700's were different then...I have nothing at the back of the tank, and a nipple for a tube on the sending unit....plus the lil diaphragm thingie with spring inside the cap hinge...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement