Members who have donated towards server costs
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Silicone disolves in gasoline so it won't work to heal a rubber diaphram in the carbs.
Just to update, pulled the carbs today as the intermittant stuttering and misfiring continues. Disassembled the floats and both valves appeared clean. Pulled the jets and they too appeared clean. Blew everything out with air just in case. Both front and rear carbs were jetted identically. 38/132. The main diaphrams look good and have no pin holes that I could see. Float tested the floats and found no leaks. Valves look good. There is a shiny area where the valve meets the seat but the valve is all symetrical with no concave wear spot as per the Clymer's.
I did find that the carbs have been disassembled before as there was some damage to the screws that hold the float bowls onto the carbs and the cotter keys that hold the throttle linkages together were non standard. (Wire with a z bend vice a cotter key).
I also discovered that the carb boots were reversed. Front on rear and vice versa. Since I had to pull both off the cylinder and therefore lost my reference boot, it's been a pain trying to get the carbs back on. I finally gave up for the night and will reattempt on Monday since I have it off.
I am also dreading putting the intake ducts back into the surge tank and then back on the carbs. They were a major pain to get out and I figure they will be a pain to get back in.
I really hope this solves the problem. I am also going to check the petcock and see if it is clogged or otherwise fouled with crud. The fuel that drained from the carb was kind of dirty but none of the jets were clogged that I could see. I took some pics for any who might be interested and will attempt to post them once the job is complete.
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
Last edited by Sky Rider; 10-07-2006 at 11:55 PM.