Thoughts on ear shaves - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Bearcat

Thoughts on ear shaves

I have been contemplating doing a ear shave for nearly a year now but I have some questions I haven't been able to find answers to.

1. When u ear shave u go to a pod filter. My concerns are riding in the rain with this type of set up. I would be worried about drowning or worse case water locking the engine. I know I have seen on here where a member had said that their ear shaved bike would cough and splutter when road in the wet. I was just wonder if some one who's been there could offer more insight befor I took the time to save my bike.

2. Another member had posted an alternet earshave where they crated a unifilter design out of a small engine filter under the tank. With this set up the user didn't even reject the bike and was geting good results. I was wondering if any one had done something similar but instaed of creating a base plate and filter set up they simply took a long square air filter, cut a hole in the plastic air duct that runs under the tank and installed a filter that way and then just unbolted and detached the ears and snorkals.

I had been thinking of doing this to clean up the look of my bike but I just have always been concerned about riding in the rain with the exposed pod filters. I think I would be comfortable with the filter in the runnel thing though as it would be incloses and harder or moister to get into the carbs. Plus I don't have much experience working on carbs so I would prefer to leave them alone if I can.

Any info would be helpfull thanks

Keep her rubber side down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 AM

I'm doing it next weekend. Some suggestions about your post.

I think most guys opt for the dual pods for the simplicity of it. I do think the single filter under the tank is optimal though.
Using the surge tank for mounting probably wouldn't leave enough room for an adequately sized filter to fit under the tank.
If you do this, chances are you are going to have to mess with your carbs/rejet, so removing the surge tank will make life easier on you.
good luck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:05 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I never had any problems with the pod filters in the rain at all ,I guess the oiled filters kinda shed water and really there isn't much exposed out in the wind where they are tucked in under the tanks.

Kanuck69 has a single filter under the tank that worked out great.and I think he did a write up on how he did it on here somewhere and am of the opinion that with the CV carbs they would balance out on the intake side better with a common intake.I never found it to be a problem with dual K&Ns myself.you will still have to rejet though for maximum mileage and any performance gains,since you will be adding more air to the mixture with either setup.
( Jerry isn't watching this post is he?) I am still leery of mentioning K&N products.

If it is any help those guys running a Hypercharger sticking out on the side of the bikes don't seem to have any water issues and it is out directly in the wind sucking air from the front.

Oh.I forgot most of the guys with the 300 dollar air intakes don't ride when it rains

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 03-31-2013 at 05:08 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Bearcat

Ok thanks for the input.

My thoughts on just puting a filter in the surge tank was that I would be eleminatimg the ears whiteout monkeying around with the stock settings on the bike. I figured I would have the same amount of air flow to the carbs that way.

Keep her rubber side down.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Just a regular guy

I too will be doing the shave in the next week or so... I already have the parts on the way. I opted for the duel pods simply because I want to get rid of the surge tank... thus making Carb removal and reinstall easier.

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 01:56 PM

I used the dual K&N pods. Never had a problem either. I followed the ear shave thread and cut the plastic air plenum out. Really like the results. A lot cleaner under the tank and able to route wires better.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:19 PM

....dont ask....just do it....else yer new nick will be Jerry.... (inside joke) ....
I run pods, cheap ones...$8 each...last me 1 season basically...all I needed to do was to add a longer rear tank bolt and add a rubber bushing to raise the rear of the tank about 3/4 inch (helps for clearance of pods) some pods have offset rubber though, and then not needed...not sure what brand I have...my buddy Jack got em for me...will have to ask him...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 04:23 AM
Ndr

Oh for the love of god, don't use K&N filters, the massive amount of dirt they dump into your engine will make it explode and the engine has way too many parts and it's impossible to tear apart and rebuild because its just so complicated...

OK, no seriously... I'll be doing an ear shave shortly. I've got the parts to setup a single filter under the tank. I like the idea of getting rid of the ears and not being able to see the filter giving a cleaner look.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement